Plaque buildup happens over time, and the rules of thumb like brushing twice daily and flossing helps prevent and remove plaque from under your gums. Oil pulling is a unique and natural remedy that can help clean plaque. Pair this natural plaque removal process with preventative strategies to keep your teeth clean and clear of any plaque buildup.
Oil Pulling & Plaque Prevention Supplies
Oil pulling is the first recommended course of action to help remove plaque from under the gum. Oil pulling is a simple process, but it does require a little bit of patience. After completing this process, you can brush your teeth and follow the steps for plaque prevention. Here are a few options and supplies you will need to clean the plaque from along your gumline.
Olive oil is one of the natural oils you can use for the oil pulling procedure. Oil pulling helps reduce bad breath, prevent cavities, reduce inflammation, and much more.
- Smooth flavor
- Imported, first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Perfect for soups, salads, stir-frys and marinades
- Quality since 1906 from the Olive Oil People
Coconut oil is known for its anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory effects and is another great choice for oil pulling. One of the all-important fatty acids contained in coconut oil is lauric acid, which can help remove plaque and keep the oral cavity healthy.
- NATURALLY EXTRACTED and NUTRIENT DENSE: Nutiva’s all-natural cold press extraction process yields a pure, light-tasting, nutrient-rich oil containing 63% medium chain triglycerides and 50% lauric acid without the use of dangerous and harmful chemicals, hexane, or heat.
- PREMIUM DIET COMPATIBILITY: Nutiva Virgin Coconut Oil is an ideal addition to vegetarian, vegan, raw, whole food, paleo, ketogenic, and gluten-free diets.
- HEALTH AND BEAUTY: Nutiva Virgin Coconut Oil has natural moisturizing and deep conditioning properties, making it an invaluable part of every body care regimen.
- COMMITMENT TO QUALITY: Nutiva partners with organic farmers to source the world’s finest fresh, organic virgin coconuts and stringently adheres to USDA certified organic and non-GMO guidelines to deliver superfood that is good for you and good for the planet.
- EASY TO USE PACKAGING: Nutiva Virgin Coconut Oil is packaged in safe, convenient, BPA-free packaging.
A good toothbrush is necessary for plaque prevention. There are many different toothbrush options on the market. Some of them can even be used to floss your teeth, clean your tongue and remove plaque along the gumline.
- Includes rechargeable handle, charger, 2 brush heads, travel case
- Position Detection to help you know where you've brushed, so you never miss a zone
- Multicolor SmartRing on electric toothbrush provides coaching on brushing time
- Pressure sensor technology slows brush speed to protect gums
- Includes a travel case
Baking soda is another all-natural plaque prevention and removal strategy. Therefore, you should purchase a toothpaste that contains baking soda. When shopping for toothpaste, make sure that it has fluoride to strengthen your tooth enamel.
- STAIN DEFENSE TECHNOLOGY: Helps to whiten your teeth and prevents new stains from setting. Formulated with refined dental grade baking soda to give you a noticeably whiter, brighter smile
- POWER OF BAKING SODA: ARM & HAMMER baking soda gently cleans and neutralizes acids that weaken and erode enamel
- CAVITY PROTECTION: Fluoride toothpaste deep cleans and penetrates between the teeth and along the gum line to remove plaque and help prevent cavities
- EXTREME WHITENING: Boosted with peroxide to gently target tough set-in stains with extra whitening power
- Three 6 oz. tubes of Arm & Hammer Advance White Extreme Whitening Toothpaste
Oil pulling loosens plaque and bacteria from your oral cavity; however, a daily mouthwash is still needed for optimal oral health. An effective mouthwash will contain ingredients that fight against the bacteria and germs that cause plaque buildup.
- ZERO-ALCOHOL MOUTHWASH: Two pack of 1-liter bottles of Listerine Total Care Zero alcohol-free anticavity mouthwash in Fresh Mint flavor to improve oral health by helping to prevent cavities, strengthening teeth and leaving a refreshing, clean feeling
- 6-IN-1 BENEFITS: Fluoride-rich mouthwash offers six benefits in one to kill germs that cause bad breath, strengthen teeth, help prevent cavities, restore enamel, clean your mouth and freshen breath
- 50% STRONGER TEETH: Alcohol-free mouthwash freshens breath while helping to make teeth 50% stronger than brushing alone, according to laboratory studies
- PROTECTS DAY AND NIGHT: Protect your mouth by adding a 60-second rinse of this anticavity mouthwash to your morning and evening oral care routines
- REFRESHING Mint FLAVOR: Zero alcohol mouthwash helps prevent tooth decay while leaving a fresh mint flavor for a fresh clean feeling you can taste and comes in a twin pack
Flossing your teeth daily is recommended for plaque prevention and removal. Taking care of your teeth takes time, but skipping steps is going to find you scheduling more dental appointments.
- Includes 90 Solimo Mint Dental Flossers (1 pack of 90 flossers)
- Mint flavor
- Designed to slide easily between teeth without shredding
- Fold-away pick can be used like a toothpick
- If you like Oral-B Complete Glide Dental Floss Picks, we invite you to try Solimo Mint Flossers
How To Remove Plaque From Gums
Removing plaque from gums can be achieved by employing both plaque removal techniques and plaque prevention strategies. Oil pulling is one way to tackle the problem of plaque along the gumline. This oral care procedure can be followed by your daily oral health routine. Follow these four easy steps so you can have a fresher, cleaner mouth.
Step One: Oil Pulling Procedure
The oil pulling process can be completed in one simple step. This process can take up to 30 minutes, so it is important that you remain patient through the oil pulling process. You will need one tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil. You want to swish this oil around your mouth for 20-30 minutes just like you would do a mouthwash. Make sure that the oil reaches every area of your mouth and is pulled through each of your teeth. After you complete the oil pulling procedure for plaque removal, spit the solution out and rinse your mouth out with a bit of water.
- Pro Tip: Swish gently, as your jaw can get sore after several minutes of swishing. It does not take a lot of pressure to effectively oil pull.
Step Two: Brush Your Teeth
Brushing your teeth is necessary after oil pulling. Brushing your teeth helps to remove any loosened plaque, it also helps whisk away germs and any remaining traces of oil in your mouth. When brushing your teeth, make sure you reach every tooth and brush for at least two minutes. To help keep plaque away and keep your teeth looking beautiful, brush your teeth at least twice daily.
- Pro Tip: Remember to use a toothpaste that contains baking soda. If your toothpaste does not contain baking soda, sprinkle a small amount of baking soda on your toothbrush and toothpaste.
Step Three: Floss Your Teeth
Now it is time to floss your teeth. There are many different tools that can be used for flossing. You can use traditional floss, floss picks, and even devices that are designed to floss for you. You should floss after each meal; however, that is not always feasible. For best results, floss at least twice daily.
- Pro Tip: You will need between 18 and 24 inches of dental floss if you are flossing traditionally. This amount of floss gives you plenty of string to maneuver between your teeth.
Step Four: Use a Mouthwash
Mouthwash, like oil pulling, helps you reach the areas of your mouth that brushing alone cannot. An effective mouthwash will kill germs and help remove bacteria and plaque that reside along the gumline.
- Pro Tip: An antiseptic mouthwash helps to not only prevent plaque buildup but fight against the germs that cause gingivitis.
Plaque buildup is inevitable if you do not use both plaque prevention measures and plaque removal strategies. Oil pulling is great, and when paired with brushing, flossing, and rinsing, your pearly whites are going to be sparkling clean. Finally, schedule an appointment with your dentist for a check-up and teeth cleaning to keep your teeth looking their best.