Flies seek out heat, protection, and food when laying eggs, and that means maggot infestations in trash cans are quite common. Cleaning up such a mess does not sound like the most exciting task.
Thankfully, this step-by-step guide is going to help you make short work of that maggot infestation and is going to help you take a step towards preventing future problems.
Cleaning Supplies Needed
Taking care of this cleaning task only requires a list of five supplies. Using gloves, dish soap, towels, white vinegar, boiling water, and a garden hose, you can get the job done. In just a few short minutes, you are going to have a clean trash can on your hands.
Dish soap is used to both clean and disinfect the trash can after the maggots have been killed. The last thing you want is for the flies to feel like your trash can is home sweet home after it has been cleaned. Any good dish soap will work, but Dawn is always recommended.
- 50 percent Less Scrubbing
- Contains 3x Grease Cleaning Power (cleaning ingredients per drop vs. Dawn Non-Concentrated)
- Our NEW More Powerful Formula helps you get through more dishes with less dishwashing liquid
- Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap, Original Scent
- Packaging & sponge shape will vary
Boiling Water & White Vinegar
A solution of boiling water and white vinegar is going to be used to kill the maggots. Alternatively, Terro Garbage Guard can also be used. The boiling water kills the maggots, but you will see why vinegar and/or Terro Garbage Guard are also recommendations.
- Why Customers Choose Lucy’s Vinegar - From cleaning to cooking, Lucy's 5% Distilled White Vinegar is simply the right choice! Because of our Vinegar's bargins, absence of preservatives, durable bottle design, secure seal, and Kosher Certification, customers around the country have fallen in love with Lucy’s vinegar!
- Cooking - Spices up dipping sauces, develops flavor, makes homemade bread crusts golden brown, freshens wilted vegetable’s, substitutes for salt or buttermilk and can be used for much much more!
- Cleaning - Yes! White Vinegar for cleaning works fantastically. Check out some of our customer reviews to see how they've applied our Vinegar for their cleaning needs.
- We Love What We Do - One of the sweetest "fruits of our labors" are the responses we receive from our customers all over the country. Whether it’s simply to dress up a vinaigrette, enhancing pastries, or cleaning the restaurant counters, we stand amazed at the usefulness and enjoyment that Lucy’s White Vinegar brings each of our neighbors.
- Family Owned & Family Run - Here at Lucy's, we seek to achieve one purpose: To love God with all of our heart & to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. From our family to yours, thank you for being one of our cherished customers!
Towels are necessary for drying the trash can thoroughly, prior to putting any bags of trash back in the receptacle. Alternatively, the trash can is just fine air drying, but finishing this task more quickly means you need drying towels.
- Includes 4 - 54 x 30-inch bath towels
- Made of 100% cotton for softness and tear-resistant strength
- Lightweight bath towels quickly absorb moisture
- Designed with a classic and simple pique border
- Fade-resistant color
Keep your hands protected when messing with trash and a maggot infestation. A good pair of cleaning gloves come in handy for many tasks around the house. These types of gloves are reusable and provide the protective barrier needed for this type of chore.
- DURABLE MATERIALS - The reusable household gloves are made of environmental grade pvc material, green and odorless. It is waterproof and resistant to low concentration oil grease and light solvent. The extended cuffs provide effective barrier protection for wrist and forearm from moisture and some liquids.
- COTTON FLOCKED LINER - With 26.6Mil (0.67 millimeter) thickness cotton flocked liner, these dishwashing gloves are soft and breathable, easy to pull on and off. You will be able to wear these gloves for long periods of time without discomfort. Absorbent to moisture and sweat, the touchscreen gloves keep your hands warm and dry.
- EXCELLENT GRIP & NON-SLIP - The non-slip embossed palm and fingers cleaning gloves offer good grip to grasp wet and greasy dishes and gadget during washing. Don’t worry about things slipping out of your hands! And keep these house cleaning gloves in cool and dry place can extend their lifespan.
- MULTIPURPOSE - The PVC gloves are latex free, DEHP free, lead and cadmium free, better solutions for people with sensitive skin. They are ideal for kitchen, household chores, dishwashing, bathroom and toilet cleaning, clothes washing, car washing, gardening, pet caring and more.
- CERTIFICATIONS - LANON Wahoo gloves for hand protection are certificated by Intertek and meet CA Prop.65 regulations for phthalates.
A scrub brush is an essential part of this cleaning task. Trash cans get dirty, and a scrub brush is used on the walls of the trash can after the maggots have been killed. An all-purpose scrub brush is ideal and can be used for a variety of cleaning tasks around the house.
- 2-pack of heavy-duty scrub brushes for cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, tile, and more
- Firm polypropylene bristles stand up to sustained use
- Efficiently cleans and breaks down dirt, grease and grime
- Non-slip TPR long handle is easy to grip and apply scrubbing pressure
- Hanging feature for convenient storage and drying
A garden hose is the last item you need to finish this cleaning task. The hose is going to be used to both clean and rinse out the trash can thoroughly after it has been cleaned. Covering all your bases is how you keep those maggots away.
- Gpeng garden hose
Cleaning A Garbage Can After Maggot Infestation
Cleaning up a maggot infestation is not how you want to spend a Saturday afternoon, or any afternoon for that matter. With the right supplies, however, this cleaning task is history in a matter of minutes. You do not want to allow the maggots to keep multiplying and hatching, so it is time to get to work.
Step 1: Remove All Trash
Before you can work to eliminate the maggots, all trash must be removed from the receptacle. This includes any loose trash and debris. Don those protective cleaning gloves and empty the trash can.
Pro Tip: If trash pick-up is days away, you may want to consider either waiting until closer to that time or taking it upon yourself to bring the garbage to the dump.
Step 2: Kill Those Maggots
Now it is time for the boiling water. The boiling water is going to kill the maggots, but experts recommend one part white vinegar to three parts boiling water. The white vinegar eliminates odors that attract flies, helping to prevent their return after you are done cleaning.
Be sure to pour the solution along the inside walls of the trash can. This ensures the boiling water and vinegar cover as much of the surface area as possible on the way down.
Pro Tip: Terro Garbage Guard is another recommended solution, and it is designed to protect against maggot infestations for up to four months.
Step 3: Clean & Disinfect
Cleaning and disinfecting the trash can is your next step. It is time to break out the dish soap, the garden hose, and the scrub brush. The soapy water and all-purpose scrub brush eliminate the waste residue of all types. You want to keep those flies away and prevent them from establishing a new breeding ground.
Step 4: Empty Trash Can & Dry
After scrubbing the inside walls of the trash can, it is time to empty it of its soapy water. Dump the soapy water from your trash can and then spray the can out with clean water.
Use your cleaning towels and thoroughly dry the receptacle. This step is important because you want to eliminate all traces of moisture. After the trash can is completely dry, the bags of trash can be placed back into the receptacle, if you have not already taken them to the dump.
Pro Tip: Hand-drying the trash can is avoidable if you choose to allow the receptacle to air dry for approximately 30 minutes.
This type of cleaning task makes you feel like you must get down and dirty. Truthfully, however, you can avoid that type of hassle using the right supplies and these step-by-step instructions. The maggots do not stand a chance against your new knowledge and expertise.