Blackened, moldy silicone in the shower is an eyesore and occurs when mold forms underneath your silicone sealant. You could remove and replace the silicone, or you could clean it in a few easy steps. Unless the silicone has worn, cracked, or past its prime, it is better to clean the mold rather than remove and replace the silicone.
Mold Cleaning Supplies
Five items are all you need for this cleaning task, and one of the items on the list is an alternative that you can use. So gather your supplies and get ready to make short work of this task.
Pro Tip: If there are gaps in the sealant, you must fill in the gaps once you have cleaned the silicone. Alternatively, you can forgo the cleaning, and simply remove the silicone and reapply it for a new, fresh finish.
White vinegar is a great natural cleaner. Unfortunately, when it comes to black mold, it may not be able to completely remove the stains. If the mold has just begun, you can try to use white vinegar; however, it may require a stronger cleaner like bleach to remove the stains.
- Heinz Distilled White Vinegar 1 Gallon Jug
- Distilled white vinegar diluted with water to 5% (50 grains) acidity
- Made from sun-ripened grain and crustal clear water
- With its clean, crisp flavor, it's ideal for your favorite marinades, salads and recipes
- 5 Calories per serving; 0 Fat;
When it comes to cleaning and disinfecting a house, bleach is often the preferred cleaning solution. Bleach can be used to eliminate the toughest types of molds, including black mold.
- 121-oz. bottles
- Sold in cases of 3, priced per case
- coli and listeria in addition to salmonella.
- Meets FDA guidelines for sanitizing. . . .
Cleaning gloves are extremely important when working with any type of chemicals. The gloves help prevent the chemicals from touching your skin and endangering your health.
- EXTRA STRONG DISPOSABLE GLOVES: Made with a proprietary blend of synthetic nitrile elastomers, they are extra strong, thick and offer plenty of stretch. These heavy gloves are 4 mil thick (5 gram average weight).
- FOOD SAFE GLOVES: Perfect for use in home and commercial kitchens, these gloves are safe to use while handling food. They also have a superior grip and texture, and can even be used with many touchscreen phones and devices.
- POWDER FREE & LATEX FREE: Free of natural rubber latex, a common allergen, these non latex gloves are perfect for medical facilities, hair, nail and beauty salons, tattoo parlors, and other offices with patients or clients with latex allergies.
- MULTI USE RUBBER GLOVES: These gloves are perfect for home, office, or industrial use. They can be used as household cleaning gloves, medical exam gloves, janitorial gloves, painter gloves, gardening gloves, kitchen gloves, food prep gloves, and more!
- SANITARY GLOVES: Ideal to keep yourself safe and sanitary, these premium disposable gloves are black, have beaded cuffs and are ambidextrous. They come 100 to a box, and are available in many sizes, from Extra Small to XX Large!
Toilet paper is used to absorb excess moisture from your silicone. Furthermore, you can soak your cleaning solution on the toilet paper and allow the cleaner to sit on the silicone to help remove the stain.
- Contains 24 family mega toilet paper rolls; 388 sheets per roll; 24 family mega rolls = 128 regular rolls*
- 3x stronger & thicker, 2x more absorbent per sheet vs. the leading value brand
- Strong, 1-layer toilet paper
- CleaningRipples texture removes more at once per sheet vs. the leading national value brand
- Biodegradable bath tissue - clog-safe, sewer-safe, septic-safe
You need a cleaning cloth for the last step in the process. If using bleach, make sure you grab a cloth that you have designated for bleach cleaning tasks. Any old cleaning cloth will work fine.
- Ultra soft, non-abrasive microfiber cloths will not scratch paints, coats or other surfaces
- Cleans with or without chemical cleaners, leaves lint and streak free results
- Absorbs eight times its own weight
- Pack comes with three different towel colors (blue, yellow, and white)
- Rinse and reuse 100's of times
An empty spray bottle is necessary for applying the bleach or white vinegar solution to the silicone caulking. This type of bottle is great for many cleaning tasks around the house, and a bottle featuring measurements is even better when you are mixing up cleaning solutions using multiple ingredients.
- 【ADJUSTABLE NOZZLE & THREE SPRAY MODES】Our upgrade adjustable nozzle comes with three spray modes. From a fine mist to a steady stream to off, the sprayer can be easily adjusted to suit your needs by rotating the nozzle. Extra-long suction tube enabling you to get the last of your liquid sprayed out, avoid to waste!
- 【DURABLE HDPE BOTTLES】 The (5 pcs, 24 Oz) strong spray bottles are made from durable HDPE plastic, BPA Free, which is chemically resistant, safe for chemical solutions like Bleach, Vinegar, Rubbing Alcohol, etc. and support long-term use. Withstands drops and won't shatter easily, is an ideal solution spray bottle.
- 【NO LEAK AND CLOG】Our spray bottle features durable polypropylene spray head (More than 50 thousand pumps test), tight and secure cap closure, internal cover cap gasket, and built in 304 stainless steel spring and precision valve and piston for 100% leak & clog free use, NO leak when turning them over or putting on its side.
- 【MULTI-PURPOSE USE】The heavy duty spray bottles can be used for multi-purposes. Great for Household, Commercial & Industrial use for cleaning solutions around the house, car detailing, cleaning disinfect, hairdressing, misting and watering plants, ironing, laundry, BBQ, and to spray the body etc. These bottles can be safe reusable, simply wash it out and reused many times.
- 【BETTER TRIGGER & NECK DESIGN】 Unique 2-finger trigger design makes your fingers rest easily on it and the ergonomic neck gives you a comfortable grip, eliminating hand fatigue.
How To Clean Mold Off of Silicone Sealant
The mold removal process for silicone sealant is extremely easy. In three easy steps, you will have taken care of this common household problem. Take your time and allow your cleaning agent to do its job to make this household cleaning task much easier.
Step One: Apply Toilet Paper
Use a liberal amount of toilet paper and twist it up tightly. Lay the twisted toilet paper along the silicone sealant where the mold is present. Once you have done this, it is time to apply the cleaning agent and let it do its work.
Pro Tip: It is best to use quilted, highly absorbent toilet paper for this job because it makes the cleanup process much easier.
Step Two: Apply Cleaning Agent
Did you choose bleach or white vinegar? Either way, the application process is the same. Don your cleaning gloves and then spray the bleach or white vinegar liberally onto the twisted toilet paper.
For best results, allow the cleaning solution to set for a couple of hours. During this time, the cleaning solution will destroy the mold and remove the stain under the silicone.
Pro Tip: With cleaning gloves still on, gently push against the toilet paper along the entire perimeter of the tub after the silicone has been sprayed with the cleaning agent. This step ensures the toilet paper is right up against the sealant and the cleaning agent is liberally applied.
Step Three: Remove Toilet Paper & Wipe Using Clean Cloth
While this cleaning process requires a waiting period, no extra work is necessary.
With cleaning gloves on once again, remove the toilet paper. After discarding the toilet paper, gently wipe the silicone sealant using your cleaning cloth.
Pro Tip: Spraying the silicone caulking and shower tiles with a white vinegar solution or bleach solution daily helps with mold prevention.
This three-step cleaning process for removing mold from silicone sealant is easy and effective at removing the mold and stains from your silicone sealant. Remember if there are gaps in the sealant, you will need to apply more silicone to close the holes.
It is recommended that you perform this cleaning chore every three to four months or if you see any traces of mold developing. Regularly performing this chore will ensure that your shower remains mold-free and squeaky clean.