Nespresso machines and their single-serve pods are a convenient and hassle-free way to have a delicious cup of coffee. Descaling a Nespresso machine is a task that must be performed every three months. This deep-cleaning maintenance task helps to keep your Nespresso machine in tip-top shape and producing the amazing coffee beverage you have come to love.
Nespresso Machine Descaling Supplies
How do you clean a Nespresso machine without a descaling solution? The commercial descaling solution can be substituted with a homemade solution. The descaling process is still required, but you do not need the commercial solution. Learn how you can clean your Nespresso machine without the commercial descaling solution in six easy steps. Here is a list of supplies you will need.
Citric acid can be mixed with water to make an effective homemade cleaning solution.
- ALL-NATURAL, FOOD-GRADE, FINE-GRAIN POWDER: Roots Circle citric acid is one of Mother Nature’s greatest gifts. Kosher, non-GMO and naturally gluten-free, it’s ready to be mixed into food, added to your detergents, or used as a base for many household products.
- SAVE $$$ ON EARTH-FRIENDLY CLEANING SUPPLIES: Citric acid powers through stains, rust, calcium deposits, mold, fingerprints on stainless steel, and general household odors. Make your own Lemi Shine or create a food-safe citric acid cleaner for your espresso machine.
- PRESERVE FOOD THE OLD, NATURAL, HEALTHY WAY: One of most popular uses for citric acid is as a natural food preservative and additive, as it preserves food’s ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Use it to make sourdough bread, sour candies, ice cream, and for canning fruit.
- CREATE YOUR OWN MAKEUP AND BATH BOMBS: Take your skin and hair care to the next level while saving hundreds of dollars each year! Make your own natural, plant-based, effective beauty products, and have some fun by using citric acid for bath bombs!
- 100% SATISFACTION AND FRESHNESS GUARANTEED: Behind your Roots Circle purchase is the Roots Circle promise: Every batch is inspected for quality, freshness and potency. Nothing ships unless it’s 100% fresh! Order risk-free with our 30-day money back guarantee.
White vinegar is also effective when mixed with water to make a homemade cleaning solution.
- WHY DO CUSTOMERS LOVE THE AVO VINEGAR? It’s simple. AVO has been a market leader for two decades providing Retail, Foodservice and B2B customers with vegetable oils and vinegars that are produced with the highest USA food grade quality standards. AVO’s white distilled vinegar is NON-Toxic, chemical free and contains no potentially cancer-causing additives. Our White Vinegar is packaged in 1 gallon bottle and has 5% acidity. Our vinegar raw material supply chain is fully traceable.
- COOKING AND CLEANING – AVO’s multipurpose 5% vinegar is the perfect choice for your cooking and cleaning tasks. Cooking use: Baking, general cooking, marinades, tenderizing, sauces, salads, dressings, canned food, Asian/ethnic cuisines. AVO’s 5% vinegar is a premium cleaning solution that is safe and natural. Mix with baking soda for added strength.
- BUY WITH PURPOSE – ENVIRONMENT: Besides producing healthy vegetable oils & vinegars, AVO is committed to make continuous improvements by reducing the environmental impact of our products & facilities. Our dedication goes beyond compliance with the law and includes environmental practices into our business decisions. CHARITABLE PRODUCT: AVO’s community commitment: a portion of your purchase helps us make donations on a monthly basis to families in need and people without a home in our community.
- MADE IN USA: Because we understand that 80% of American shoppers say they prefer to buy goods made in the United States - by CR (Consumer Reports); AVO’s vinegar is proudly produced, packaged, and inspected here in the USA. We support made in USA products.
- BUY NOW RISK FREE - 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We are super confident you will love all of our Vinegar. However, if for any reason you're not absolutely thrilled, just let us know and we will give you a full refund - no questions asked! Our mission is to provide a risk-free experience.
Lemon juice mixed with water is a third choice for creating a homemade cleaning solution.
- 100% LEMON JUICE: Iberia 100% lemon juice makes it easy to add delicious lemon flavor to dipping sauces, marinades, or even sodas or juice without slicing and squeezing fresh lemons.
- NO SLICING AND SQUEEZING: No need to slice or squeeze whole lemons any more, just add a splash of Iberia lemon juice to your drinks and dishes.
- SMOOTH TANGY TASTE: Iberia lemon juice has a sour and fluid consistency with a tangy flavor that blends well into a variety of dishes and drinks.
- VERSATILE: Stir Iberia lemon juice to create delicious and fresh tasting salad dressings or use it to make a classic lemon meringue pie. Add a splash of Iberia 100% lemon juice to lemon drop martini, lemonade or iced tea and avoid all the mess-work.
- A PANTRY STAPLE: Bulk supply of 3 x 32 oz bottles to keep your kitchen in good supply all the time.
A scrub sponge is used on the machine after the descaling process is complete to ensure all residue is removed when rinsing components.
- Strong Cleaning: Non-scratch scouring pad cuts through messes while protecting your surfaces. Sturdy abrasive scour pads scrub off stuck-on food. High-density sponge with good rebound resilience, hard to deform.
- Sanitize In The Dishwasher: AIDEA Non-scratch sponges are made from environmentally friendly materials. Rinse with water after every use, they will dry quickly and don't get smelly. Also sanitize in your dishwasher for lasting use.
- Long-Lasting: The scouring pad on one side and absorbent sponge on the other for multiple uses. Not easy to tear and wear out even after numerous uses. They last a long time even while scrubbing tough burned food.
- Multi-purpose Cleaning: Easy to clean your dishes, pots, pans, sinks, stoves, appliances, bathroom, garage, kitchen effectively, and effortlessly. Keep your kitchen and household appliances shiny and neat after every use, which features optimal cleaning performance.
- 100% Exchange Guarantee and Save your money: If you aren’t completely satisfied with these Non-scratch Scrub Sponges, Please contact us via the email. Any questions will get a full refund.
Large Measuring Cup
A large measuring cup is used to hold your homemade descaling solution.
- ☑️ Made To Last: Heavy duty liquid measuring pitcher made from durable food grade polypropylene. Stain resistance. Translucent for easy viewing of content including water. Microwavable dishwasher safe. Easy to clean and rinse. BPA free. Unique secure handle for unmatched comfortable grip even with a gloved hand. V-shaped spout for excellent pour control eliminating spills and need for a funnel. Stands up to the toughest challenges. Sturdy wide base. Durable and long lasting.
- ☑️ Multiple Industry Uses: Heat resistant with a melting point of 294.8 Fahrenheit or 146 Celsius. Heat deflection of 203 Fahrenheit or 95 Celsius. Popular uses: Automotive, Lawn and Garden, Industrial, Scientific, Soap Making, Pool and Spa, Beer Making, Restaurant, Hotel, Agriculture, Lawn Care, Home Kitchen. Popular wherever accurate measuring is needed
- ☑️ Dimensions: Pitcher is 10” tall, mouth opening at top is 6.75” diameter and base is 6” diameter to stand sturdy and not easily tip.
- ☑️ Readable And Accurate Measurements: Easy to see and read outside raised molded graduations are fade resistant, dark black ink in increments of ounces and milliliter. Convenient Conversion Chart for quick reference to Cups, Pints, Quarts, Milliliters and Liters makes conversion fast and easy saving time. Designed to easily be stacked inside each other for convenient storage.
- ☑️ American Family Owned: Thank You for supporting a family owned US Company.
Paper towels are used to wipe and dry parts of the Nespresso machine after the descaling process is complete.
- Pack contains 12 Family Rolls of Bounty white Quick Size paper towels, 12 Family Rolls equals 30 Regular Rolls
- This pack contains 60 more sheets per pack which means 6 extra days’ worth of paper vs. 12 of Bounty Select-A-Size Double Plus Rolls. Estimated based on manufacturer data. Actual usage may vary by household
- Bounty, the Quicker Picker Upper
- 2X More Absorbent vs. leading ordinary brand
- Bounty's shortest sheets are now even more absorbent for a versatile clean (versus previous product)
Cleaning Nespresso Machine Without Descaling Solution
The descaling process is necessary to keep your machine functioning properly. You can accomplish this task either using a commercial descaling formula or a homemade descaling solution. There are three different recipes for a homemade solution. Each cleaning agent works great and effectively descales your Nespresso. Continue reading to learn about each solution and the steps necessary to clean your machine.
Step One: Prepare the Homemade Descaling Solution
Prepare the homemade descaling solution ahead of time in the large measuring cup. Citric acid is the preferred solution, but white vinegar and lemon juice work great as well.
If you decide to use citric acid, you are going to mix one part citric acid to 20 parts water in a large measuring cup. When using lemon juice, mix equal parts of each in a large measuring cup. When using white vinegar, you mix equal parts of each as well. Overall, you need just under a liter of solution for the descaling cycle.
- Pro Tip: The commercial descaling solution available from Nespresso contains citric acid, and that is why citric acid is preferred when creating a homemade descaling solution.
Step Two: Put Machine in Descaling Mode
Empty the capsule container and drip tray. Nespresso machine models vary in terms of what buttons are pushed to start descaling mode. Pay attention to the manufacturer’s instructions for which buttons are required to push to start descaling mode for your machine. There are several different models with different instructions.
- Pro Tip: The buttons blink and the machine beeps when the descaling mode has started.
Step Three: Fill Reservoir with the Solution and Start the Descaling Process
Fill the reservoir with the homemade descaling solution and close the slider. Place the plastic container that you set aside earlier back in place so it can catch the descaling solution. Press one of the blinking buttons, and the descaling process will begin. Repeat this step a second time using the same solution from the container.
- Pro Tip: The descaling process is over when the machine has ceased pushing more the scaling solution through the coffee outlet.
Step Four: Rinse All Parts
Get rid of the solution that is in the plastic container. Remove the cup support, water tank, and drip tray. Use the sponge to scrub them as you rinse thoroughly using warm water. After all the components are thoroughly rinsed, reassemble the machine.
- Pro Tip: Ensure all descaling residue has been removed. Otherwise, you can compromise the system in the same way you would if you had never descaled your Nespresso machine. Additionally, drip trays for some models are not able to be removed. If that is the case for your model, flip it up and rinse it using a damp cleaning cloth.
- Ultra soft, non-abrasive microfiber cloths will not scratch paints, coats or other surfaces
- Cleans with or without chemical cleaners, leaves lint and streak free results
- Absorbs eight times its own weight
- Pack comes with three different towel colors (blue, yellow, and white)
- Rinse and reuse 100's of times
Step Five: Rinse the Machine
To rinse the machine, fill the reservoir with plain water, using the same container from earlier to catch the water throughout the rinse cycle. If you used citric acid or lemon juice to make your homemade descaling solution, perform the rinse cycle twice.
- Pro Tip: If you used white vinegar to make your homemade descaling solution, five rinse cycles are necessary.
Step Six: Turn Off Descaling Mode
After rinsing the machine, the designated number of times, the descaling process is complete. You can turn off descaling mode by simply pressing the buttons until the machine beeps.
- Pro Tip: Allow the machine to dry before you use it to make any coffee. It is going to be the best cup of coffee you ever tasted!
Descaling a Nespresso machine is easy, but it is a little time-consuming. White vinegar works wonders as a homemade descaling solution, but you can save time using either citric acid or lemon juice. The machine does most of the work, and you get to sit back and think about that delicious cup of coffee you will enjoy when the job is finished.
FAQ: Cleaning Nespresso Machine Without Descaling Solution
Failure to perform the descaling task every few months can cause your machine to malfunction. The six-step process described keeps your Nespresso machine in good working order and making great-tasting coffee. The descaling process is one way to keep your coffee maker in great shape, but what else should you know?
How often should you wipe down your Nespresso machine?
Wipe down your Nespresso machine with a damp microfiber cloth at least twice a week. Be sure to tackle the outside edges and coffee outlet and pay special attention to the inside walls near the capsule holder.
Do you have to clean the capsule detector lens?
Yes, wipe down the capsule detector lens a couple of times a week. Remove the maintenance module (it is attached to the drip tray) and then you can reach the capsule detector lens. Do not use water. Simply wipe away smudges using a clean microfiber cloth.
Is it okay to use bleach when cleaning or descaling a Nespresso machine?
Never use bleach or any other abrasive cleaning solutions on your Nespresso machine.
Why is my drip tray growing mold?
Drip trays, befittingly named, catch extra moisture, and must be cleaned out daily. Otherwise, drip trays grow bacteria and mold. You can use dish soap and water to clean the drip tray. Additionally, each time you clean the drip tray, clean the capsule container, too.
How often should you clean the water tank?
The water tank and lid should be cleaned daily after each use. Wash them using dish soap and water.
- Pro Tip: If you happen not to use your Nespresso machine daily, then daily tasks can be performed every few days instead.