Cleaning the drip pan under your refrigerator is simple and only requires a few steps. Instructions vary slightly, depending on whether the drip pan is in the front or back of your refrigerator, and whether it can be removed. This short how-to guide is designed to help you clean your drip pan easily.
This maintenance task should be done every three months to prevent mold and mildew as well as any unwanted odors.
Gather Cleaning Supplies
Locate the drip pan for your refrigerator. If it is in front, you are set to gather your cleaning supplies and get started. If the drip pan is behind your refrigerator, you need to disconnect both the water and power supply in order to remove the back panel for access.
Screwdriver Or Hex Wrench?
Back panels on refrigerators are held in place by either screws or hex bolts. Check to ensure you have the proper tool and attachment so that you are easily able to remove these screws or hex bolts.
- ☞ High-end handle design, slip resistant grip reduces hand fatigue
- ☞ Four sizes of bits : PH2 CR-V 1/4 and PH1 CR-V 3/16 T15 CR-V T20 and T25 CR-V T30
- ☞ Suitable for home, auto repair, outdoor and other working occasions without additional screwdriver, a group of 8 in 1 screwdriver solve all your troubles
- ☞ High-end steel is used, the drill bit after precision processing and heat treatment is more rigid and durable
- ☞ Easy to carry out outdoor use, give men the best tool gifts
An empty spray bottle is used to hold the bleach and water cleaning solution used to clean the drip pan. It is always good to have at least one or two empty spray bottles around the house to use for cleaning projects like this one.
- 【ADJUSTABLE NOZZLE】 From a fine mist to a solid stream, the sprayer can be easily adjusted to suit your needs. Be prepared to tackle any job with a simple twist of the nozzle! Avoid waste with our extra-long tube that'll spray every last drop out!
- 【CHEMICAL RESISTANT】 The heavy duty 24 oz (about 700 ml) sprayer bottle is chemically resistant to hold up against harsh chemicals and solvents. On the side of each bottle is a checklist to stay organized and remain informed as to what the bottle contains. (Also comes with labels to meet your need)
- 【UPGRADED SPRAY HEAD & LEAK PROOF】 Our sprayer features a long lasting polypropylene spray head, tight and secure cap closure, internal cap gasket, 302 stainless steel spring and a precision valve and piston, for a no clog and no leak experience; A proven and reliable no leak venting system primes quickly and stays primed.
- 【HOUSEHOLD-COMMERCIAL-INDUSTRIAL USES】 Our spray bottles for multi purpose uses. Use them for cleaning solutions around the house, pet, cat, lawn and garden, misting and watering plants, succulents, herbs, ironing, laundry, car detailing, janitorial. Make your own homemade diy cleaner mister or just use with water to cool yourself.
- 【BETTER TRIGGER DESIGN】 The unique design 4-finger trigger makes your fingers rest easily on it and the bottle fit comfortably in your hand, eliminating hand fatigue; Adjustable red nozzle turns easily letting you switch from mist, stream or to off; Pull trigger has a short effortless squeeze reducing finger fatigue.
Bleach is your best friend when you are cleaning. You are going to be making a bleach and water cleaning solution for the drip pan. The bleach is going to kill any mold and mildew and is the cleaning agent for this type of project.
Pro Tip: White vinegar can be substituted for bleach. While bleach is the first choice, it can alter the color of the drip pan.
- Splash-less clean: concentrated, scented, Splash-Less bleach bleach in a thicker formula delivers a more controlled pour with less spills and splashes so you can get some serious cleaning done; package may vary
- Concentrated bleach: concentrated laundry bleach delivers more cleaning power per drop with a 33% more compact dose reducing the amount of bleach required for cleaning (compared to previous Clorox Splash-Less bleach)
- Easier to pour: more concentrated bleach with the same trusted Clorox Clean in a smaller bottle making it easier to handle easier to pour and easier to use in HE machines with smaller dispensers
- Stain Remover: whitens, brightens, deodorizes and provides 10x deep cleaning benefits while fighting tough stains on white clothes or use it as a cleaning bleach for cleaning hard non-porous household surfaces
Grab a couple of cleaning cloths that you have lying around. Remember that you are working with bleach. It is always good to have some cleaning cloths or rags that you have earmarked specifically for this purpose. One cloth is going to be used with the cleaning solution, and the other one is going to be used for drying purposes.
Pro Tip: Instead of using a second cleaning cloth for drying, you can also allow the drip pan to air dry for about 30 minutes.
- Ultra soft, non-abrasive microfiber cloths will not scratch paints, coats or other surfaces
- Cleans with or without chemical cleaners, leaves lint and streak free results
- Absorbs eight times its own weight
- Pack comes with three different towel colors (blue, yellow, and white)
- Rinse and reuse 100's of times
A grabber is only necessary if you are not able to remove the pan under your refrigerator. It will be used to push a wet wipe around to clean the inside of the drip pan.
- EXTRA STRENGTH GRIPPER: Extra strength metal bar that will hold over time. Textured rubberized ends with Magnet on one end ( please keep in mind coins and some metals are NOT Magnetic) make it easy to grab any object. It’s compact and foldable so you can easily store it anywhere when not in use and lightweight so you easily lift it and take it anywhere. Great elderly assistance reacher grabber pickup tool, Garden claw grabber and Reaching assistant tool.
- ROTATING & RUBBERIZED HEAD: Jaw rotates a full 360 degrees in 90 increments to be used both vertically and horizontally get to those hard to reach places like behind furniture or your fridge. Using advanced anti-slip material allowing you to lift slippery items like glass or smooth plastic bottles with ease.
- EXTRA LONG EXTENDED REACH: With a range of 32 inches, you’ll be reaching areas you normally won't be abel to with your arms! It makes cleaning up and collecting trash and litter a breeze so you never need to get your hands dirty or bend down and hurt your back. Keep your environment garbage free. With our Garbage Trash grabbers reachers.
- EASY GRABBING - Innovative Design to pick up items with ease, picks up coins, envelops, trash etc. Reacher grabber Can pick up items with easy, picks up coins, envelops. Easily pull the trigger, reduces labor intensity, makes your work easier to do. The arm grabs items utilizing a claw grip that clutches and releases. easly used as a mobility aid grip hand, handy assist tool for nursing homes and can be used for parks.
- 2 YEAR FREE RETURN SHIPPING WARRANTY
Wet wipes are also only necessary if you are not able to remove the pan under your refrigerator. A wet wipe is thinner and easier to push around using a grabber. Using wet wipes in that scenario helps ensure that you do not mess up the inner components of your refrigerator.
- Kills 99.9% of viruses & bacteria including cold & flu viruses
- The easiest way to clean & disinfect
- Easy to pull: One hand dispensing
- Easy to store space saving pack
- Easy to take on the go
Cleaning The Drip Pan Under Your Refrigerator
It is certainly possible that you encounter mold and mildew deposits when you remove the drip pan, especially if it has been quite some time since it has been cleaned. Knowing how to remove the pan under your refrigerator and clean it properly is key to keeping your kitchen in tip-top shape. Thankfully, cleaning the drip pan under your refrigerator is easy if you follow these six simple steps.
Step One: Remove Drip Pan
If the drip pan is in the back, you must disconnect water and power sources first. After handling the disconnects, use a hex wrench or screwdriver to free the back panel.
If the drip pan is in the front, your first step is to pop that kick panel off. To remove the kick panel, be sure you open the refrigerator door or doors first to gain better access.
Pro Tip: Some drip pans are not able to be removed. You will know right away if the drip pan for your refrigerator is removable. If you are not able to remove the pan it should still be cleaned using the following instructions.
Step Two: Empty Drip Pan
Drip pans hold defrosted ice, which of course by now is stagnant water. After removing the pan, you want to pour that dirty water down the drain. Alternatively, you can use a shop vac to remove the water from the drip pan.
If the drip pan is not removable, you need the grabber and wet wipes. If you do not have a grabber, a wire hanger can be used. A grabber helps prevent damage to the internal components of your refrigerator.
Step Three: Spray Drip Pan Using Bleach & Water Solution
The recipe for the bleach and water solution is quite simple: One part bleach and two parts water. After mixing the bleach and water solution in an empty spray bottle, spray the drip pan thoroughly and allow the solution to set for a few minutes.
Pro Tip: Spray extra cleaner on spots with mold or mildew buildup.
For a non-removable drip pan, pour some of the cleaning solution into the pan. You are going to leave this bleach cleaning solution in the non-removable pan, preventing mold until the next cleaning.
Pro Tip: Pick an essential oil with a nice scent and add a couple of drops to the drip pan. You would then skip to reattaching or reinstalling the back panel of your fridge.
Step Four: Clean Drip Pan Using Cleaning Cloth
Wipe the drip pan, working your way from one side to the other, being careful not to spread any mold. Apply enough pressure to eliminate any residue buildup.
Pro Tip: Paper towels are a substitute for cleaning cloths in this situation if you prefer not to get any mold or mildew on your rags.
Step Five: Rinse & Dry Drip Pan
Rinse your drip pan in the sink using warm water. Using the other cleaning cloth, dry the drip pan thoroughly.
Pro Tip: You can also air-dry the drip pan for 30 minutes. Make sure the pan is thoroughly dry to help reduce the risk of mold and mildew forming.
Step Six: Reinstall the Drip Pan
The drip pan must be dry to the touch before it is reinstalled. After reinstalling the drip pan, put the kick panel or back panel back in place, and you are done.
Removing and cleaning the drip pan for your refrigerator is simple. Once you have completed this chore, you can mark it off your to-do list for another three months. Ideally, you might also consider pairing this task with deep cleaning your freezer and fridge.