Oil on your car’s engine, undercarriage, and oil under the hood, in general, has consequences. Oil leaks should be addressed immediately, and oil spills need to be cleaned up right away as well. Thankfully, this short guide is designed to help you perform this cleaning task in four steps without any hassles.
Oil Cleanup Supplies
To clean up oil under the engine, you need to clean both the engine compartment and the undercarriage of your vehicle. While this process may seem complex, this easy-to-follow guide is going to help you eliminate the oil residue and buildup that could potentially cause serious problems to your car’s engine.
Compressed air is used to remove extra debris that is underneath your hood and around your engine. Alternatively, a small cleaning brush can be used in place of compressed air, but you must be careful not to cause any damage to electrical components.
A degreaser is going to help break down the oil residue. A cleaning brush can also be used after applying a degreaser if there is heavy oil residue present.
- All-purpose cleaner and degreaser
- Removes stains and odors
- Safe for all washable surfaces
- Nontoxic, nonabrasive formula
- Noncaustic and solvent-free
While a cleaning brush is not required, you might want to go ahead and have one handy. The oil residue can be quite stubborn, and you might need that extra help.
- 2-pack of heavy-duty scrub brushes for cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, tile, and more
- Firm polypropylene bristles stand up to sustained use
- Efficiently cleans and breaks down dirt, grease and grime
- Non-slip TPR long handle is easy to grip and apply scrubbing pressure
- Hanging feature for convenient storage and drying
A pressure washer is going to be used to remove the oil residue buildup under the hood and on the undercarriage of your vehicle.
- SIMPSON OHV engine with large recoil for easy starting.
- Reliable, maintenance-free OEM Technologies axial cam pump with thermal relief.
- 5/16-in. x 25-ft. high pressure hose is non-marring, flexible and abrasion resistant
- Steel frame construction with powder coated finish for durability and corrosion resistance
- 10" Premium pneumatic wheels for ease of maneuverability across various terrain
A garden hose may be used in place of a pressure washer; however, you want a controlled stream of water. You must be careful when spraying water underneath the hood of your vehicle, and ensure you have control of the water.
- EXPAND 17FT TO 50FT MAGICALLY: When water pressure is on, the gardenhose can extend up to about 3 times of its original length(extending from 17 ft to 50 ft); when shutting off, it can automatically contract. It will never angle twist or kink and can be stored easily. NOTE: If you find this hose does not extend to 50 ft, please kindly make sure whether the faucet is at full blast.
- 【NO MORE LEAKS 】The solid 3/4 Inch brass connectors and layers of latex piping ensures our Gardenhos perfectly solve the leak problems of plastic connectors. It also comes equipped with brass switch valves, so it’s easy for you to shut off the water without turning off the tap, making easier to use. Our brass connectors are in line with all American standards.
- 【DURABLE 】Our Product has superior quality brass connectors and shut-off valves, which give excellent corrosion resistance and no rusting. The super strong can withstand up to 12 BARS of water pressure and temperatures up to 113°F.
- 【8 FUNCTIONAL SAFTY NOZZLE】: The rubberized outer coating is non-slip and comfortable. Rotating bezel for easy choosing kind of nozzle. Buckle stent for uninterrupted use.,ergonomic handgrip for effortless operation.The nozzle support multiple purposes, such as gardening, water your lawn, clean your yard, car/boat washing, pet bathing or pool cleaning etc.
- 1 Year Guarantee - If you ever have any issues with our product, simply contact us and we'll expedite you a new one absolutely free or refund your payment in full in 3 month, and if more than 3 month, we provide free maintaince.
Plastic baggies are necessary to cover important vehicle components that need to be protected while you are spraying the degreaser and using the pressure washer. Be sure to cover up the distributor, sensors, and other sensitive areas.
- Reclosable top has a double zipper closure
- Not recommended for use in microwave or for storage of liquids
- Includes 300 sandwich storage bags
- BPA free
- Satisfaction Guarantee: We’re proud of our products. If you aren’t satisfied, we’ll refund you for any reason within a year of purchase. 1-877-485-0385
Rubber bands can be used to hold the baggies in place. You want to be sure the sensors and other components are well-protected.
- 1-pack (1/2-pound bag) of assorted rubber bands in Red, Blue, and Yellow colors
- Made of natural rubber for smooth, stretchability
- Offer tensile strength and re-usable convenience
- Ideal for home or office; keep items conveniently bundled and neatly organized
- Mix of sizes includes #64 (3-1/2 x 1/4 inches), #33 (3-1/2 x 1/8 inches), and #19 (3-1/2 x 1/16 inches)
Tape can also be used to hold the baggies in place. You do not want the baggies moving around or falling off, leaving important parts exposed.
- The original matte-finish, invisible tape
- Frosty on the roll, but invisible on the job
- Preferred by millions
- Dispenser included: Refills easily, stores away conveniently, always ready
- Comes off the roll smoothly, cuts easily
You need an empty spray bottle to hold the degreaser. Alternatively, you could purchase a degreaser that comes in a spray bottle and is not in concentrated form.
- LEAK-PROOF TECHNOLOGY - Constructed with no rubber parts; Our sprayer features a long lasting polypropylene spray head, tight and secure cap closure, internal cap gasket, 302 stainless steel spring and a precision valve and piston, for a no clog and no leak experience; A proven and reliable no leak venting system primes quickly and stays primed
- BETTER TRIGGER SPRAYER DESIGN- The sprayer exterior sides fit your hand comfortably, eliminating hand fatigue Adjustable red nozzle turns easily letting you switch from mist, stream or to off; Pull trigger has a short effortless squeeze reducing finger fatigue ; Suction dip tube reaches the bottom of the bottle enabling you to get the last of your liquid sprayed out
- DURABLE BOTTLES- Our 16 ounce heavy duty impact resistance spray bottles are made from HDPE plastic, recycle code # 2. BPA Free Ergonomic neck gives you a comfortable grip Mouth opening is 5/8 inch wide making it easy to fill Bottle measures 8 inches high without the sprayer attached with sprayer attached the height is 10 1/4 inches and 2 1/2 inches wide at the bottom; They are dishwasher safe on the top rack
- 100% MADE IN THE USA- Thanks for supporting American jobs and businesses. Our trigger spray bottles are shrink wrapped for protection. Sold as a Pack of 4
- HOUSEHOLD-COMMERCIAL-INDUSTRIAL USES- Our multi purpose spray bottles have an excellent chemical compatibility. Use them for cleaning solutions, hair spray water bottle, plant misting, succulent, herbs, ironing, laundry, car detailing, janitorial. Make your own homemade pest repellent, diy cleaners or just use with water to cool yourself; They are bleach, vinegar and rubbing alcohol safe (please read the product description below for more information on chemical usage)
How To Clean Up Under Engine After Oil Spill
Keeping your vehicle’s engine and other components clean helps to ensure your vehicle runs smoothly. Built-up sludge can prevent the oil from being able to properly lubricate the car’s engine. You know what supplies are necessary for this cleaning task, and this quick guide is going to show you the steps you should follow teaching you how to clean the oil under your engine.
Step 1: Clear Debris Using Air Compressor
Using an air compressor, clear any debris under the hood of your vehicle, specifically around the car’s engine. You want to do this before you start using a degreasing agent and pressure washer.
- Pro Tip: A small cleaning brush works just as well if you do not own an air compressor; however, air compressors are great household investments and cheaper than most people think.
Step 2: Secure Sensors and Other Components
Next, it is time to secure all sensors and other important electrical components, like the distributor. Place plastic baggies around each component, and secure the baggies using either rubber bands or tape. This technique holds the baggies in place and helps prevent water from getting to those important electrical components.
- Pro Tip: Take your time, securing the baggies using both tape and rubber bands if necessary. While this step is not part of the actual cleaning process, it is essential to protect your engine.
Step 3: Spray Degreaser
Using the spray bottle filled with a degreaser, apply the cleaning solution to the engine and other uncovered vehicle components. If you notice heavy residue in certain areas, you can use the cleaning brush to loosen the dirt and grime before using the pressure washer. Allow the degreaser to sit for about five minutes.
- Pro Tip: The engine needs to be warm to the touch for this cleaning step. Turn on your vehicle and let it idle for a few minutes, then turn it off before spraying the degreaser.
Step 4: Rinse Off Degreaser Using Pressure Washer
The degreaser has had five minutes to settle and start breaking down the oil residue and other dirt and grime. Use the pressure washer to rinse off the degreaser. Make sure you have a steady stream, and be careful, still watching out for those covered electrical components. A garden hose can also be used for this step.
- Pro Tip: After rinsing, leave all plastic baggies on the components until everything has air-dried. You still need to clean the undercarriage, and then you can circle back and collect the baggies.
Step 5: Spray Undercarriage Using Pressure Washer
With the pressure washer still in tow, spray the undercarriage of your vehicle. Essentially, you are removing the excess dirt, grime, and any other debris like when you used the air compressor on the engine and other components under the hood.
Step 6: Apply Degreaser & Scrub
Apply a degreaser to the undercarriage, once again using a scrub brush for any especially dirty spots. Remember to allow the degreasing agent to sit for five minutes so that it has time to start breaking down the caked-on residue.
- Pro Tip: A rubberized undercoat helps provide extra protection for the undercarriage of your vehicle. After cleaning the undercarriage, you might want to consider opting for this type of protective coating.
Step 7: Rinse Using Pressure Washer
It is time to rinse once again, and this time you do not have to watch out for those electrical components. After rinsing, you can double back and grab those baggies, close your hood, and you are done.
Cleaning up oil under a vehicle’s engine is a two-part process, but the task is broken down into simple steps. With the right prep work in place, you will have protected important electrical components and removed the oil and other caked-on residues that can cause your vehicle problems.