Many homeowners prefer using eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, or gloss paint for easy cleanup. You may be surprised to learn that you can clean flat paint walls without leaving streaks. Flat paint has its own unique set of challenges, including needing to clean up any messes or stains immediately; otherwise, they are harder to remove. Our clear-cut process for cleaning flat paint cuts out many of the frustrations you have experienced in the past.
Cleaning Supplies for Flat Paint Walls
Many people have made mistakes when cleaning walls coated with flat paint. Flat paint is a little tricky, but a quick touch-up with paint and paintbrush easily eliminates mistakes. You are not going to make any mistakes, however, because you are privy to a quick four-step process that will make your walls look freshly painted.
A microfiber cleaning cloth is used to wipe down the walls where stains and other imperfections are present.
- Ultra soft, non-abrasive microfiber cloths will not scratch paints, coats or other surfaces
- Cleans with or without chemical cleaners, leaves lint and streak free results
- Absorbs eight times its own weight
- Pack comes with three different towel colors (blue, yellow, and white)
- Rinse and reuse 100's of times
White vinegar can be used to wipe down the walls if plain water is not working.
- WHY DO CUSTOMERS LOVE THE AVO VINEGAR? It’s simple. AVO has been a market leader for two decades providing Retail, Foodservice and B2B customers with vegetable oils and vinegars that are produced with the highest USA food grade quality standards. AVO’s white distilled vinegar is NON-Toxic, chemical free and contains no potentially cancer-causing additives. You will receive 2 bottles (1 gallon each). Our vinegar raw material supply chain is fully traceable.
- COOKING AND CLEANING – AVO’s multipurpose 5% vinegar is the perfect choice for your cooking and cleaning tasks. Cooking use: Baking, general cooking, marinades, tenderizing, sauces, salads, dressings, canned food, Asian/ethnic cuisines. AVO’s 5% vinegar is a premium cleaning solution that is safe and natural. Mix with baking soda for added strength.
- BUY WITH PURPOSE – ENVIRONMENT: Besides producing healthy vegetable oils & vinegars, AVO is committed to make continuous improvements by reducing the environmental impact of our products & facilities. Our dedication goes beyond compliance with the law and includes environmental practices into our business decisions. CHARITABLE PRODUCT: AVO’s community commitment: a portion of your purchase helps us make donations on a monthly basis to families in need and people without a home in our community.
- MADE IN USA: Because we understand that 80% of American shoppers say they prefer to buy goods made in the United States - by CR (Consumer Reports); AVO’s vinegar is proudly produced, packaged, and inspected here in the USA. We support made in USA products.
- BUY NOW RISK FREE - 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We are super confident you will love our 5% White Vinegar. However, if for any reason you're not absolutely thrilled, just let us know and we will give you a full refund - no questions asked! Our mission is to provide a risk-free experience.
A magic eraser is yet another tool that you can use to clean flat paint walls.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser extra durable scrubber is 4x stronger with DURAFOAM cleaning performance vs. The leading all-purpose bleach Spray
- This cleaning scrubber is tough on dirt, all around the house! Surface cleaner, wall cleaner, bathtub cleaner, bathroom cleaner, oven door cleaner, erases marks on light switches, doors & much more!
- The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser provides a powerful clean with water alone.
- No harsh chemicals added.
- Magic Erasers are also available in extra durable, kitchen, and original forms
Gentle Foam Cleanser
A gentle foam cleanser can be used to tackle even tougher stains on flat paint walls.
- SCRUB FREE FORMULA: lifts scuffs and stains without damaging finishes or leaving a residue
- SAFE ON: Painted surfaces, wall coverings, baseboards, doors & trim
- GREAT FOR REMOVING: Scuffs, fingerprints, grease, ink, crayons, marker, food & lipstick stains
- POWER FOAM: Clings to vertical surfaces for easy no scrub usage
Empty Spray Bottle
An empty spray bottle is used to hold the diluted detergent used for cleaning the flat paint walls. When mixing up homemade cleaning solutions, it is best to use bottles that have measurement labels.
- 【ADJUSTABLE NOZZLE】 From a fine mist to a solid stream, the sprayer can be easily adjusted to suit your needs. Be prepared to tackle any job with a simple twist of the nozzle! Avoid waste with our extra-long tube that'll spray every last drop out!
- 【CHEMICAL RESISTANT】 The heavy duty 24 oz (about 700 ml) sprayer bottle is chemically resistant to hold up against harsh chemicals and solvents. On the side of each bottle is a checklist to stay organized and remain informed as to what the bottle contains. (Also comes with labels to meet your need)
- 【UPGRADED SPRAY HEAD & LEAK PROOF】 Our sprayer features a long lasting polypropylene spray head, tight and secure cap closure, internal cap gasket, 302 stainless steel spring and a precision valve and piston, for a no clog and no leak experience; A proven and reliable no leak venting system primes quickly and stays primed.
- 【HOUSEHOLD-COMMERCIAL-INDUSTRIAL USES】 Our spray bottles for multi purpose uses. Use them for cleaning solutions around the house, pet, cat, lawn and garden, misting and watering plants, succulents, herbs, ironing, laundry, car detailing, janitorial. Make your own homemade diy cleaner mister or just use with water to cool yourself.
- 【BETTER TRIGGER DESIGN】 The unique design 4-finger trigger makes your fingers rest easily on it and the bottle fit comfortably in your hand, eliminating hand fatigue; Adjustable red nozzle turns easily letting you switch from mist, stream or to off; Pull trigger has a short effortless squeeze reducing finger fatigue.
When cleaning flat paint walls, there is always at least a small chance that touch-ups are required. You are going to start with a cleaning cloth and water, working your way up to stronger agents if needed. Therefore, keep a clean paintbrush handy in case touchups are needed.
- The stiffness of the brushes makes them ideal for outdoor projects with different temperatures and humidity
- A blend of Satin-Edge nylon (Tynex) and Orel polyester
- Each xl Brush has a unique hand-chiseled formulation for maximum paint lift and smooth "no drag" application
- Use with all paints
- Flat trim and beavertail, natural hardwood handle
Backup paint is also necessary for touchups. Ideally, you have paint saved back from when the wall was originally painted. If not, you will need to have more mixed. Unfortunately, exact matches are not always easy; therefore, it is best to purchase more than you need.
Cleaning Flat Paint Walls
Be especially careful when cleaning flat paint walls. Use the simplest cleaning strategy first and work your way down the list if needed. Flat paint walls are more prone to scuffs and dingy marks. With our techniques, you will be pleased with the results of your cleaning efforts. Just take your time and be prepared to handle any touchups needed.
Step One: Clean Using Damp Cloth
Use a damp (not soaking wet) microfiber cloth to tackle any wall stains and scuff marks. Pay special attention to the areas close to the baseboards as this part of the wall is often the dirtiest.
- Pro Tip: Be sure not to scrub too hard. It would be nice if a damp cloth is all that’s necessary to clean your walls, but there are times that a damp cloth simply will not clean your walls.
Step Two: Use White Vinegar
If the damp cloth helps but does not completely clean your painted wall, it is time to bring in the white vinegar. Simply add a little white vinegar to the damp cleaning cloth. Take your time and wipe down the walls gently.
- Pro Tip: Vinegar acts as a natural degreaser when applied to wall paint. Flat paint is porous, traps dirt, and doesn’t detract water very well. Therefore, white vinegar is the obvious second step when trying to clean flat paint walls.
Step Three: Use Magic Eraser
If dirty marks are still present on your wall after using vinegar, use a magic eraser to tackle those stubborn spots. The magic eraser tackles all kinds of tough household cleaning tasks, and it is known for helping clean flat paint walls. At this point, however, you are using products that may or may not damage the paint, resulting in areas that need to be touched up with paint in at least a few spots.
- Pro Tip: Magic erasers are gentle cleaning products. If you end up having to touch up a few spots, do not beat yourself up. It happens on occasion with flat paint, and you are doing everything in your power to keep it from happening.
Step Four: Use Store-Bought Foam Cleanser
Foam cleansers are advertised as being able to clean a wall without affecting the finish. These products are great, and they work well. Unfortunately, nothing is a guarantee when it comes to flat paint. Experts still suggest trying the other methods mentioned before using a store-bought foam cleanser.
- Pro Tip: Be ready to wipe spots clean with a dry microfiber cloth. The foam acts quickly, penetrating tough stains. Follow the directions and wipe the walls clean immediately.
Hopefully, your walls are clean at this point and no touchups are required. It is still always a good idea to have extra paint around because eventually, touchups will be necessary. Tackling scuff marks and other dirty spots on your flat paint walls as soon as you see them helps to keep your walls looking great.
FAQ: Cleaning Flat Paint Walls Without Leaving Streaks
While you have been advised to be careful when cleaning flat paint walls, the task itself is quite simple. You will be lightly scrubbing the dirty spots and trying different cleaning agents as necessary. Flat paint attracts dirt. If you find yourself fighting a losing battle, the wall simply needs some fresh paint. Put some lipstick on your walls as they say.
Can you use dish detergent to clean flat paint walls?
Dish detergent is another possible solution. It would, however, rank last on this list. Furthermore, you would need to dilute the detergent by mixing it with water. The formula is one tablespoon of detergent per one gallon of water. When mixing the solution in an empty spray bottle, use a teaspoon of detergent.
Can you vacuum your walls?
Vacuuming walls is a great way to remove extra dust. Vacuuming is especially helpful when trying to reach the top corners of the walls where cobwebs tend to be. You can certainly add vacuuming your walls to your cleaning routine but doing so is not going to help you remove dirt and scuff marks from flat paint walls.
Can you use the same steps to clean flat paint ceilings?
Yes, you can use the same steps to clean flat paint ceilings; however, you will need a ladder of course. Additionally, cleaning a ceiling with arms extended is much more difficult than cleaning walls at face level. Most people simply decide to repaint their ceilings when it is time.
- Comfortable standing platform makes the Flip-N-Lite ideal for long-term usage.
- Extra-wide rungs prevent foot fatigue.
- Lightweight aluminum stepladder is easy to transport, set up and take down.
- The Flip-N-Lite meets or exceeds all OSHA and ANSI standards and is Type IA rated to hold 300 lbs.
Are there certain flat paints that are more easily washable?
Sherwin-Williams features both Duration Home and Emerald paint lines that are advertised as having truly washable flat finishes. You do get what you pay for when it comes to painting. If you are going to use flat paint, it is always best to go with one of the top brands.
Should I choose not to use flat paint next time?
Flat paint has its advantages, too. While flat paint is not the easiest finish to clean, it is the best finish for hiding blemishes on walls. Semi-gloss and gloss paints highlight existing blemishes. Flat paint does not reflect light directly either. Each type of paint has its pros and cons. Flat paints work well for low-traffic areas, like bedrooms, living rooms, and hallways.