Riding around on a clogged mower can damage your turf as well as the machine itself. You want a manicured lawn, and you must take good care of your mower for it to operate efficiently. This step-by-step guide to cleaning under your riding lawnmower deck makes it easy.
Lawnmower Deck Cleaning Supplies
Cleaning regularly under the deck of your riding lawnmower helps protect the blades and prevent rust. Some of the supplies suggested are optional but make for a much easier task. Remember that safety is a priority when working on the underside of a riding mower deck. Gather the necessary supplies and get ready to complete this job in under 30 minutes.
Gardening gloves are necessary for keeping your hands safe and clean during this task. A pair of heavy-duty, breathable garden gloves is recommended.
- Breathable Bamboo to Keep Your Hands Cool – Bamboo absorbs perspiration, is naturally very breathable. Keeps your hands cool in summer and warm in winter. Pine Tree Gloves are suitable for any job and guaranteed a pleasure to wear.
- Fits Like A Second Skin - Do you take off your gloves for every chore that requires finger sensitivity? Pine Tree Gloves have bare hand sensitivity and are Touchscreen friendly! Now you can make those reminders on your smart phone or ipad without taking your gloves off! Fishermen also love the grip on those slippery fish and the protection when changing hooks!
- Comfortable and Durable Hand Protection - We believe gardening should be safe and fulfilling. Avoid skin wounds and dirty hands and nails when doing yard chores. Why walking around with those thick and clumsy gloves while doing jobs around the house? How much more enjoyable would garden chores be, when you wear protective gloves with a snug fit? See our listed size chart picture on the left to determine your correct size. Our gloves have proven abrasion resistance.
- Please note: our gloves are famous for their snug fit. Not your preference? Just order one size up!
- Pure Satisfaction or Money Back – Although our gloves are initially designed for gardening, many enjoy them during construction and restoration work, fishing trips and lobster diving! Are you not entirely satisfied in the end? Our product comes with a full satisfaction promise!
Two buckets will be needed for this task. Use the first bucket to drain the gas from your mower. The second bucket will be used to hold your cleaning supplies.
Metal Pry Bar
A metal pry bar can be used to scrape away debris. This unconventional tool comes in handy for quite a few projects around the house.
- Improved leverage in medium-duty and heavy-duty automotive and industrial applications
- Angled tip gives you increased leverage and access to confined areas
- Black phosphate coating on the shaft to resist corrosion
- Specially formulated acetate handle for greater resistance to cold temperatures and drops
- Comfortable ergonomic handle provides a secure grip
A putty knife may also be used to scrape away the debris under the riding lawnmower deck.
- Flexible blade: works well for spreading spackle and adhesive; made of taper-ground, mirror-polished carbon steel
- Nylon handle: classic-style handle provides a sturdy hold and a professional look and feel
- Reinforced strength: full-length tang secured to the handle with 2 heavy-duty rivets for added support
- Durable construction: consists of 55% carbon steel and 45% nylon
- Warranty: backed by an Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
A wire brush is used to scrub off the leftover dirt that is under the mower deck. The pry bar or putty knife is going to do most of the work, but you want to double back and scrub using the wire brush.
- PRACTICAL: Remove rust and paint quickly with this wire welding brush set, Wire brushes are ideal for removing paint stains, rust, welding slag,solder,scale, Great for remove corrosion and more from parts, equipment, machinery and other surfaces. Also great for cleaning threads, grills or tile.
- Ergonomic Long Curved & Durable hardwood Beech Wood handles with pre-drilled hole for hanging-Smooth finish nice naturally beech wood provides excellent hand feeling, Easy to Use.
- Heavy duty steel bristles scratch brush set: solidly imbedded carbon steel bristles and stainless steel. Carbon steel brush（Black) for general rust, paint and slag removal, Stainless steel brush(Silver) for cleaning aluminum or stainless and Other hard surfaces
- Perfect size: 14" Overall Length, the Bristle length is about 1", 3X19 Rows of bristles for excellent coverage. Fine Kraft paper packaging box
- High quality- We are a professional brush manufacturer since 1992, MAXMAN Factory has specialized in creating finest quality Wire brush, paint brush, All kinds of brushes, It integrates product development, designing, production, sales trade and one of supplier of big hardware market in U.S.A.
A garden hose is used to rinse the deck of your riding mower. Be sure that you have positioned your mower to where your garden hose can reach the mower before starting this cleaning task.
- Extended design - Our hose can be extended from 33 feet to 100 feet. When the water is turned on, the hose will automatically expand to 3 times its original length under standard pressure, and shrinks to original hose length in minutes when it’s off. Lightweight and portable.
- High Quality Hose - The water hose is made of high-density 3-layer latex core and extra strength 3750D fabric to prevent leakage and breakage. Each hose has undergone 2000 endurance tests, can withstand 3 -12 bar water pressure, and working temperature -4℉-122℉.
- 10 Functional Hose Nozzles - Garden hose nozzle with 10 patterns for more choices. Ergonomic non-slip rubber handgrip for comfortable operation. Equipped with holder, easy to operate and store.
- Solid 3/4 Inch Brass Connectors - Excellent corrosion resistance and antirust. Solid fittings and rubber washer prevent slipping, cracking and water leakage to the maximum. 3/4 inch connector fits typical American outdoor garden faucets.
- Multiple Purposes and Perfect Gift - Suitable for multiple purposes, including house/car/yard washing, garden watering, pet cleaning, having fun or business use.This hose makes work and domestic chores easier than ever. Perfect gift for the family.
If you own a pressure washer, you can use it for this cleaning task instead of a garden hose. Whichever you choose, you want to be careful with water around your mower’s electrical components.
- 3000 PSI High Pressure: The pressure washers could provide up to 3000 PSI with max 2.5 GPM water flow, which is great for removing deep-seated dirt, grease, peeling paint, and even graffiti from concrete, asphalt, siding, decks, lawn furniture, garbage cans, boats and trailers, and outdoor power equipment
- Professional Safety: TSS system lets the power washers start up as soon as you squeeze the trigger and shut down as soon as you let go, you’ll never have to worry about pump damage from extended idling. It also has GFCI protection against the risk of electric shock and a lock button to prevent it from the spray gun being engaged accidentally
- Multiple Clean Modes: This pressure cleaner has 4 quick-connect metal spray tips (0°, 15°, 25°, 40°) to provide 4 different kinds of pressure strong water stream. The attached 16.9oz foam cannon could produce rich bubbles to wash your car. Freely select the high-pressure nozzle best suited to your task
- Thoughtful Industrial Design: a 23lb light machine with 2 big wheels, 3 hooks for place 35ft power cord, 26ft pressure hose, and spray gun. You can effortlessly carry it anywhere and easily store all accessories after cleaning done in case lost
- No-worried Sale Service: This car washer has a 12 months Warranty, provided 24hrs Sales Service and Professional Repair Service, which can make you shop without worry
Dish soap is necessary to make your cleaning solution. Any dish soap will do, but Dawn is always recommended for important cleaning tasks.
- 50 percent Less Scrubbing
- Contains 3x Grease Cleaning Power (cleaning ingredients per drop vs. Dawn Non-Concentrated)
- Our NEW More Powerful Formula helps you get through more dishes with less dishwashing liquid
- Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap, Original Scent
- Packaging & sponge shape will vary
How To Clean Riding Lawnmower Deck
Mowing in dry weather can help reduce clogs. Cleaning under your riding lawnmower can be completed in four easy steps.
Step One: Disengage Mower
First, the riding mower must be prepped for this cleaning task. With your garden gloves on, disengage the mower’s spark plug. This eliminates the chance of your mower accidentally starting while you are cleaning. Lastly, you want to you need to remove the fuel from your mower by either siphoning the gas, running the mower empty, or tipping the mower on its side and emptying the fuel into a bucket.
Step Two: Clear Caked on Debris
Spray down the underside of the lawnmower deck using the garden hose or pressure washer. Doing this wets that grass, making removal much easier. Next, take the pry bar or putty knife and start scraping. If it has been a while in between cleanings, you are likely to have encountered quite a lot of caked-on grass and other deposits.
Step Three: Wash Under Riding Lawnmower Deck
Pour some dish soap and water into your bucket to create a cleaning solution. Apply the cleaning solution to the underside of the mower deck and allow it to soak for about 10 minutes.
After soaking, take the wire brush and scrub away the extra dirt that has yet to be removed. Next, using the garden hose or pressure washer, rinse the underside of the riding lawnmower deck. The deck of your mower is now clean and just needs to air dry for several minutes before you turn it back over.
Cleaning under the deck of your riding mower is an easy job. It can be completed in four easy steps. Keeping the deck of your riding mower clean will help you maintain a manicured lawn.
FAQ: Cleaning Under Riding Lawnmower Deck
Cleaning under your riding lawnmower’s deck is easy when you follow our step-by-step instructions. The following are frequently asked questions that consumers often encounter when cleaning the deck of their riding mowers.
What can you do to prevent dirt and grass from sticking to the underside of a riding lawnmower deck?
Spray a non-stick vegetable oil or silicone lubricant on the underside of the deck. Alternatively, WD40 can be used. There are commercial deck coatings available as well.
Can you paint the underside of a riding lawnmower deck?
Yes, painting the underside of your riding mower’s deck helps to protect it from debris and prevent rust. Furthermore, it can help to increase the life span of your riding lawnmower.
How Often Should You Clean Under Riding Lawnmower Deck?
Experts recommend that you scrub under a riding lawnmower deck twice per season. Mowing when the grass is wet or forgetting to clear grass under the deck after each use can cause you to have to clean the deck more often.
Does Running Your Mower Full Throttle Help Prevent Buildup?
Yes, mowing at full throttle is always recommended. Doing so helps prevent glass clippings and other debris from sticking to the underside of the mower’s deck.
Can Skipping This Deck Cleaning Task Lead to Turf Diseases?
Yes, microorganisms responsible for spreading turf diseases now have a solid breeding ground if you fail to clean the underside of your riding mower’s deck.