Hard, chalky limescale buildup under the toilet rim is unsightly. Limescale is insoluble calcium bicarbonate. People living in hard water areas have a more difficult time preventing limescale buildup on toilet rims and other plumbing fixtures. Thankfully, there are numerous products and techniques that you can use to remove the buildup in a few easy steps.
Toilet Seat Cleaning Supplies
There are a few different cleaning agents for you to choose from. Each of them works well, but they all have their pros and cons. Only a few other supplies are necessary to rid your toilet seat of that limescale buildup. You will have your toilet sparkling in just three easy steps.
Bleach is great for removing limescale buildup on the toilet rim. Bleach is a wonderful disinfect, and it is a wonderful cleaning agent for all of your other bathroom fixtures.
- 121-oz. bottles
- Sold in cases of 3, priced per case
- coli and listeria in addition to salmonella.
- Meets FDA guidelines for sanitizing. . . .
White vinegar is a natural cleaning solution that can help remove buildup and leave your toilet sparkling clean. If you decide to use vinegar, you will mix one part vinegar to one part water in an empty spray bottle.
- Heinz Distilled White Vinegar 1 Gallon Jug
- Distilled white vinegar diluted with water to 5% (50 grains) acidity
- Made from sun-ripened grain and crustal clear water
- With its clean, crisp flavor, it's ideal for your favorite marinades, salads and recipes
- 5 Calories per serving; 0 Fat;
Rubber gloves are only necessary if you choose to work with bleach. Bleach can be rough on your skin and lead to dry, cracked skin. The rubber gloves protect against this damage to your skin.
- EXTRA STRONG DISPOSABLE GLOVES: Made with a proprietary blend of synthetic nitrile elastomers, they are extra strong, thick and offer plenty of stretch. These heavy gloves are 4 mil thick (5 gram average weight).
- FOOD SAFE GLOVES: Perfect for use in home and commercial kitchens, these gloves are safe to use while handling food. They also have a superior grip and texture, and can even be used with many touchscreen phones and devices.
- POWDER FREE & LATEX FREE: Free of natural rubber latex, a common allergen, these non latex gloves are perfect for medical facilities, hair, nail and beauty salons, tattoo parlors, and other offices with patients or clients with latex allergies.
- MULTI USE RUBBER GLOVES: These gloves are perfect for home, office, or industrial use. They can be used as household cleaning gloves, medical exam gloves, janitorial gloves, painter gloves, gardening gloves, kitchen gloves, food prep gloves, and more!
- SANITARY GLOVES: Ideal to keep yourself safe and sanitary, these premium disposable gloves are black, have beaded cuffs and are ambidextrous. They come 100 to a box, and are available in many sizes, from Extra Small to XX Large!
Lemon juice is another natural alternative cleaning solution. If you decide to incorporate lemon juice into your toilet cleaning strategy, you will use it instead of water to combine with the white vinegar for your solution.
- 100% LEMON JUICE: Iberia 100% lemon juice makes it easy to add delicious lemon flavor to dipping sauces, marinades, or even sodas or juice without slicing and squeezing fresh lemons.
- NO SLICING AND SQUEEZING: No need to slice or squeeze whole lemons any more, just add a splash of Iberia lemon juice to your drinks and dishes.
- SMOOTH TANGY TASTE: Iberia lemon juice has a sour and fluid consistency with a tangy flavor that blends well into a variety of dishes and drinks.
- VERSATILE: Stir Iberia lemon juice to create delicious and fresh tasting salad dressings or use it to make a classic lemon meringue pie. Add a splash of Iberia 100% lemon juice to lemon drop martini, lemonade or iced tea and avoid all the mess-work.
- A PANTRY STAPLE: Bulk supply of 3 x 32 oz bottles to keep your kitchen in good supply all the time.
An empty spray bottle is required to hold your cleaning solution of choice. When choosing a spray bottle opt for one with multiple spray settings. Additionally, if you can find a spray bottle with measurement lines, it can help you properly mix your cleaning solutions.
- LEAK-PROOF TECHNOLOGY - Constructed with no rubber parts; Our sprayer features a long lasting polypropylene spray head, tight and secure cap closure, internal cap gasket, 302 stainless steel spring and a precision valve and piston, for a no clog and no leak experience; A proven and reliable no leak venting system primes quickly and stays primed
- BETTER TRIGGER SPRAYER DESIGN- The sprayer exterior sides fit your hand comfortably, eliminating hand fatigue Adjustable red nozzle turns easily letting you switch from mist, stream or to off; Pull trigger has a short effortless squeeze reducing finger fatigue ; Suction dip tube reaches the bottom of the bottle enabling you to get the last of your liquid sprayed out
- DURABLE BOTTLES- Our 16 ounce heavy duty impact resistance spray bottles are made from HDPE plastic, recycle code # 2. BPA Free Ergonomic neck gives you a comfortable grip Mouth opening is 5/8 inch wide making it easy to fill Bottle measures 8 inches high without the sprayer attached with sprayer attached the height is 10 1/4 inches and 2 1/2 inches wide at the bottom; They are dishwasher safe on the top rack
- 100% MADE IN THE USA- Thanks for supporting American jobs and businesses. Our trigger spray bottles are shrink wrapped for protection. Sold as a Pack of 4
- HOUSEHOLD-COMMERCIAL-INDUSTRIAL USES- Our multi purpose spray bottles have an excellent chemical compatibility. Use them for cleaning solutions, hair spray water bottle, plant misting, succulent, herbs, ironing, laundry, car detailing, janitorial. Make your own homemade pest repellent, diy cleaners or just use with water to cool yourself; They are bleach, vinegar and rubbing alcohol safe (please read the product description below for more information on chemical usage)
A pumice stone may be used for scrubbing underneath a toilet rim; however, you must be careful not to scratch the porcelain surface. It is not recommended to use a pumice stone on a new toilet. If your toilet has a lot of buildup or the method described below does not work, a pumice stone may be needed.
- Natural volcanic stone - Natural way to scrub dead foot skin - Unique Egg shaped dry or wet care
- Exfoliating power making skin removal easy keeping feet healthy with a few brushes daily
- Ergonomic scrubber design for shower, bath or spa used - with handle for hanging salon style
- Porous design used to brush or remove hair products from skin, file nail, body and set skin soft
- Universal use for men or women, pedicure kit stone - callus remover scrub and buffer tool cracked
A toilet brush is going to be necessary to remove that limescale buildup. After allowing the cleaning solution to sit for about 30 minutes, you will use the toilet brush to eliminate that buildup.
- 2-pack of heavy-duty bristle scrub brushes for cleaning toilet bowls
- Easy, sanitary storage with included base caddy; keeps floors clean and dry
- Keeps scrub brush discreetly hidden between uses within a tall, slim storage container
- Durable plastic construction
- Long comfort-grip, non-slip handle
A scrub brush can also be used if you want to get a little more hands-on when cleaning the toilet rim. You might have to get down there with some sandpaper at the end anyway, but that toilet rim is going to be spotless.
- 2-pack of heavy-duty scrub brushes for cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, tile, and more
- Firm polypropylene bristles stand up to sustained use
- Efficiently cleans and breaks down dirt, grease and grime
- Non-slip TPR long handle is easy to grip and apply scrubbing pressure
- Hanging feature for convenient storage and drying
Sandpaper is another helpful tool that can be used on stubborn spots and tough limescale builldup. Sandpaper is a last resort but a helpful resource if any limescale still stands after the initial soaking and scrubbing.
- Super heavy paper that works on all surfaces
- High Quality Aluminum Oxide mineral
- Longer Lasting
- Less Clogging
- Creates less waste
How To Remove Limescale Under Toilet Rim
Disinfecting the toilet weekly can help to prevent limescale buildup between deep cleanings. The longer you wait to take on this type of task, the harder it is going to be to remove the hard deposits. Thankfully, this quick guide is designed to give you the tools and the know-how you need to properly clean a toilet. You can clean and remove the limescale buildup under your toilet rim in just a few steps.
Step One: Flush Toilet & Spray Down Rim
First, you need to flush the toilet before you start cleaning. After flushing, use the spray bottle filled with your chosen cleaning solution to spray underneath the rim.
Allow the solution to sit for at least 30 minutes. This gives the cleaning agent enough time to break down hard limescale buildup. You want to be able to remove most, if not all, of the buildup on the first try.
- Pro Tip: There are commercial cleaning solutions in bottles with tilted necks that help with the application if you do not want to use an empty spray bottle.
Step Two: Scrub Toilet Rim Using Toilet Brush
The solution has been given ample time to soak the toilet rim, breaking down that hard limescale buildup. Using the toilet brush, start scrubbing underneath the rim. Put some elbow grease into it so that you get rid of those deposits.
- Pro Tip: Get down and dirty with a scrub brush rather than toilet brush if you must so that all deposits are removed. If there are leftover deposits, you will need to use sandpaper.
Step Three: Flush Toilet & Check For Leftover Deposits
Once you are done scrubbing, flush the toilet and check for any leftover limescale deposits. If there is still any buildup present, use the sandpaper to scrub it away. After removing any excess limescale, you can flush the toilet once again. Remember to clean and disinfect your toilet weekly. You are done!
- Pro Tip: Medium grit sandpaper is best, but you can use a pumice stone. It is never a good idea, however, to use a pumice stone on a new toilet.
Staying on top of cleaning and disinfecting your toilet will keep your toilet looking good; however, deep cleaning under the toilet rim is necessary from time to time. Limescale and buildup can quickly buildup in the area. The hard water deposits must be soaked and scrubbed from the toilet.