Have you ever cleaned your windows only to discover the glass has streaks? It is very frustrating seeing those eyesores after you have spent time cleaning your windows.
The top causes of window streaks are using the wrong type of window cleaner, not using the proper cleaning materials, and not using the proper cleaning technique. Follow our easy step-by-step how-to-clean instructions and enjoy streak-free windows today.
You will need several common household items to clean your windows. These supplies are quite affordable and will ensure a streak-free finish.
Commercial Glass Cleaning Formula
Commercial window cleaning formulas are convenient and affordable. Choosing a streak-free-formula will minimize the risk of streaks as long as the proper window cleaning techniques are employed.
- Safe for use on: glass, windows, mirrors, clear plastic, computer screens, fiberglass & plexiglass.
Distilled white vinegar is a great choice when creating a homemade glass cleaning solution. Vinegar does not leave behind a film that causes dust to stick to your window.
Most people either do not use a squeegee or do not know how to use it properly. Squeegees are designed to remove excess liquid from your glass and wipe away all traces of dirt from your windows.
- ERGONOMIC & STREAK FREE: MR.SIGA professional squeegee with ergonomic design creates maximum cleaning performance with minimum effort. Flexible yet durable silicon blade easily removes soap scum, water drops and limescale but leaves NO streaks. Simply add water and cleaner to a surface with a few wipes and it will give you a pristine shine with NO streaks left behind. Its lightweight design also keeps your arm from becoming fatigued quickly.
- DURABLE & LONG LASTING: MR.SIGA shower door squeegee is made to last, it's constructed with a 10 inch silicon blade, strong ABS body and TPR covered non slip handle, it won't slip out of your grasp even when wet. 10 inch silicone blade allows for a fast and convenient cleaning with streak free results and ensures much longer lifespan than rubber blade.
- VERSATILE CLEANING TOOL: MR.SIGA multi-purpose squeegee is great for cleaning windows, shower doors, car windshield, tile, fogged mirrors, glasses, countertop, patios and more flat or rippled surfaces with our flexible yet strong silicon blade.
- CONVENIENT STORAGE: MR.SIGA bathroom squeegee is easy to clean and maintain, it comes with a compatible suction hook which can be used on any smooth and flat surfaces for easy storage.
- MR.SIGA's mission: Make your housework easier, and make the world cleaner. If you’re not happy about the product, you’re covered by a full refund. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have, we are here for support and advice!
Microfiber cloths are the best choice for wiping glass dry and achieving a streak-free finish. Paper towels and cloths made of materials other than the polyester and nylon mix of microfiber, leave lint behind and increase the risk of streaks.
- Effective — The E-Cloth Window Cleaning Pack is all you need for sparkling windows. Dampened with just water, the microfiber Window Cloth cleans windows, frames, sills, glass, and mirrors. The Glass & Polishing Cloth erases streaks for a perfectly clear finish
- Easy — The waffle-weave Window Cloth grabs grime, dust and more from the smoothest surfaces and won't let go until you rinse it out. Generously sized to swiftly tackle even large windows with just a quick rinse or two
- Environmental — Those blue mystery sprays make us uneasy, too. We prefer using masses of precision-engineered microfibers to break up and grab grime, without adding additional cleaners
- Eco-savvy — We think our 3-year or 300-wash guarantee stacks up nicely against the mountain of paper towels and plastic bottles you might use otherwise
- E-Cloth + Water Is Enough — Master window cleaning with less, not more. Dampen the Window Cloth, wipe, and follow with the dry Glass & Polishing Cloth for a perfectly clear finish
If you will be making your own glass cleaning formula, you will need a spray bottle. When choosing a spray bottle, look for one with an adjustable nozzle. A chemical-resistant bottle with measurement markings will also help you get the correct vinegar to water ratio when mixing your natural glass cleaning formula.
- 【ADJUSTABLE NOZZLE】 From a fine mist to a solid stream, the sprayer can be easily adjusted to suit your needs. Be prepared to tackle any job with a simple twist of the nozzle! Avoid waste with our extra-long tube that'll spray every last drop out!
- 【CHEMICAL RESISTANT】 The heavy duty 24 oz (about 700 ml) sprayer bottle is chemically resistant to hold up against harsh chemicals and solvents. On the side of each bottle is a checklist to stay organized and remain informed as to what the bottle contains. (Also comes with labels to meet your need)
- 【UPGRADED SPRAY HEAD & LEAK PROOF】 Our sprayer features a long lasting polypropylene spray head, tight and secure cap closure, internal cap gasket, 302 stainless steel spring and a precision valve and piston, for a no clog and no leak experience; A proven and reliable no leak venting system primes quickly and stays primed.
- 【HOUSEHOLD-COMMERCIAL-INDUSTRIAL USES】 Our spray bottles for multi purpose uses. Use them for cleaning solutions around the house, pet, cat, lawn and garden, misting and watering plants, succulents, herbs, ironing, laundry, car detailing, janitorial. Make your own homemade diy cleaner mister or just use with water to cool yourself.
- 【BETTER TRIGGER DESIGN】 The unique design 4-finger trigger makes your fingers rest easily on it and the bottle fit comfortably in your hand, eliminating hand fatigue; Adjustable red nozzle turns easily letting you switch from mist, stream or to off; Pull trigger has a short effortless squeeze reducing finger fatigue.
Dish detergent is not required; however, it can be used to create a hybrid window cleaning solution that can help if your windows are especially dirty.
- GREASE & HARD WATER RESIDUES? NO PROBLEM: Cuts through grease, tough beverage stains, and chalky hard water residues
- VINEGAR-POWERED: Removes grease and hard water spots with the purifying power of vinegar without leaving behind vinegar odors.
- NEVER MORE THAN 9 INGREDIENTS: We use only the ingredients you need and are free of artificial preservatives, dyes, thickeners, and synthetic fragrances.
- THE EPA SAFER CHOICE LABEL helps you select products to protect your family and the Environment
- LIGHT & REFRESHING SCENT: Made with 100% Lemon Essential Oil for a refreshing citrus scent
How To Clean Glass Without Leaving Streaks
You can get a streak-free finish by following our window cleaning instructions. These four easy-to-follow steps will have your windows looking amazing in record time.
Step One – Collect Your Window Cleaning Supplies
Window cleaning only requires a couple of supplies, including window cleaner, a squeegee, and a microfiber cloth. If you will be making your own homemade glass cleaner, you will also need a spray bottle.
The recipe for streak-free homemade window cleaner is one cup of white distilled vinegar and one cup of water. Pour this solution into your spray bottle and gently shake to mix the formula.
- Pro Tip: Use distilled vinegar to prevent hard water deposits from forming on the glass.
Step Two – Spray Your Window with the Cleaning Solution
After spraying the glass with the window cleaner, allow the solution to remain on the glass for a minute or two. If the glass is extremely dirty, use a damp cloth or paper towel to pre-wash the window and remove excess dirt before spraying on your cleaning solution.
- Pro Tip: Clean your windows on a cloudy, cool day to prevent your window solution from drying too quickly, which can cause streaks.
Step Three – The Squeegee Makes It Easy
Squeegees help prevent water spots, conserve cleaning solution, and speed up the window cleaning process. The squeegee blade must be wiped in between strokes, which ensures the dirty water is not being transferred back onto the glass.
- Pro Tip: Squeegee from top to bottom using horizontal strokes.
Step Four – Use a Microfiber Cloth and Wipe the Window Dry
The polyester and nylon makeup of a microfiber cloth lifts and traps dirt and grime from your windows. When drying windows with a microfiber cloth, wipe in a circular motion to reduce the risk of streaks.
Step Five – Use Dish Detergent as a Last Resort
If your windows are especially dirty, dish detergent can help cut through the grime. Mix a half teaspoon of dish soap with two cups of warm water and a quarter of a cup of white distilled vinegar and place in a separate spray bottle. Spray the window with this formula and squeegee dry.
Pro tip: The dish detergent may leave a film that attracts dust. You can counteract this effect by rinsing your window with clean water and wiping it dry with a paper towel. Then, follow our step-by-step instructions listed above.
A hurried, sloppy cleaning attempt can also cause streaky windows. The technique is just as important as having the right supplies. Take your time, use the proper tools and techniques for a streak-free finish.