Nintendo Switch joy-con controllers need to be cleaned and disinfected regularly. Regular cleaning helps prevent buttons from sticking. A simple process is used to clean and disinfect these controllers. A few extra supplies and a couple of extra deep-cleaning steps have been added to the process for better results.
Joy-Con Cleaning Supplies
Be careful when cleaning joy-con controllers. There are certain tried and true methods along with the manufacturer’s suggestions used to clean your controllers. Grab the following five supplies and clean up your Nintendo Switch joy-cons in minutes.
A toothpick is used to dig out any dirt and debris around the buttons on joy-con controllers.
- GET A TREMENDOUS VALUE TOOTHPICK SET of full 1000 bamboo toothpicks in 2 sets of 500, safely stored in a clear plastic lidded storage box! Save money on your wooden toothpicks purchase with a GREAT VALUE set of round wood toothpicks for countless purposes!
- THE PERFECT SET FOR YOUR DENTAL CARE! Quality-made from natural bamboo wood, these double-sided, splinter-free toothpicks will ensure your teeth are clean at all times, to save you visits to the dentist’s. Sturdy and durable, they are all you need for premium dental health.
- USE THEM IN 1000+1 PURPOSES! MontoPack round wooden toothpicks make a precious party accessory for all festive occasions. Use them as your cute cocktail or fancy party toothpicks, as your appetizer toothpicks, your olive toothpicks or the fruit toothpicks for the kids’ party!
- YOUR RELIABLE TRAVEL BUDDY! Safely stored in the toothpick holder with the lid, thesebamboo toothpicks are easily carried everywhere. Toss them into your backpack and take them with you on the refreshing day on the beach or the family picnic or the camping weekend!
- GET A QUALITY SET FOR HOME & PROFESSIONAL USE! You deserve a pack of natural, safe, durable toothpicks that do not break easily. And we are offering you the ultimate set of bamboo toothpicks in a plastic holder box for all your home, restaurant, café or hotel!
Small Scrub Brush
A tiny, dry scrub brush is used to pull out remaining dirt and debris stuck behind buttons. A dry toothbrush can also be used.
- Material: cleaning brushes are made of PP material that is sturdy and lightweight, the bristles are made of PET fiber, which is reliable and durable
- Package content: there are 10 pieces cleaning brush, enough quantity. A brush set for cleaning kitchen surfaces and gaps of the window, door, sliding track and other places, which are essential and practical cleaning tools for home, kitchen, office, restaurant, and so on
- Small scrub brush :the heads of kitchen scrub brushes are designed in 90-degree angle and with small bristles for easily reaching narrow spaces, the thoughtful designs can effectively help you clean areas that are difficult to clean or stubborn stains
- 2-in-1 Window/Door Brush: window cleaning brush cleans window, sliding door and shower door tracks more easily and quickly. 2-in-1 design, detachable brush cleaning tool's narrow tufted brush end cleaning brush enough to sweep away loose dirt, the other end scraper to dislodge stubborn dirt in corners, brush and dust pan cleaning set, it also can be detachable, convenient and easy to storage
- Wide application: you can also use this scrub brush to clean your window grooves, window blinds, car vents, sliding door, shower door tracks, gas stove, sink, faucet, toilet switch, bathtub and so on, cleans well and dries quickly
A few microfiber cloths are necessary for this task. One cloth will be used to wipe away the dirt and debris pulled up by the toothpick and scrub brush. The second cloth will be used to wipe down the controller with rubbing alcohol. A third cloth will be used to dry the controller.
- Ultra soft, non-abrasive microfiber cloths will not scratch paints, coats or other surfaces
- Cleans with or without chemical cleaners, leaves lint and streak free results
- Absorbs eight times its own weight
- Pack comes with three different towel colors (blue, yellow, and white)
- Rinse and reuse 100's of times
Rubbing alcohol is used to clean and disinfect the controller and aides in unsticking buttons.
- ANTISEPTIC & DISINFECTANT: Dealmed Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% USP is used in a wide variety of industrial and household chemicals, and is a common ingredient in chemicals such as antiseptics, disinfectants and detergents. This isopropanol is an effective infection fighter. 70% alcohol can also be used as an antiseptic for disinfection of minor wounds.
- ABOUT THE PRODUCT: Active Ingredient: Alcohol Isopropyl (70%); inactive ingredient: Water. This disinfectant is widely used within pharmaceutics, hospitals, cleanrooms, and electronics or medical device manufacturing.
- FIRST AID HELP: Isopropyl Alcohol is the first aid to help prevent the risk of infection in minor cuts, scrapes, animal bites or serious burns. It can be applied as a cooling, soothing application for patients and athletes.
- MULTI-PURPOSE USE: Alcohol solution is used in making cosmetics, skin and hair preparations, pharmaceuticals, perfumes, lacquer formulations, dye solutions, antifreezes, soaps, window cleaners.
- HEALTHCARE NEEDS: Dealmed understands the changing climate of healthcare and how important it is to have an honest, dependable partner. As such, we’ve made it our goal to deliver a large selection of items at guaranteed low prices faster than ever before.
Q-Tips are used in conjunction with rubbing alcohol to disinfect and unstick buttons.
- Contains: 1 Pack of 500 Organic Cotton Swabs / Cotton Buds / Q-tips by Sky Organics. Amazing Value!
- 100% Pure Organic Cotton: Sky Organics Organic Cotton Swabs are made with 100% pure organic cotton.
- Cotton Grown with Love – Not Pesticides: Our Organic Cotton Swabs are made with GOTS certified organic cotton. That means there were no pesticides or insecticides used in the manufacturing of our consciously made cotton.
- Soft & Durable Cotton Swabs: Sky Organics Cotton Swabs have an ultra-soft yet durable design making them soft and gentle on skin. Ideal for gently cleaning around the outer surface of the ear, and a variety of beauty and personal care uses.
- Responsibly Made: Sky Organics Cotton Swabs are hypoallergenic, cruelty-free, made with responsibly sourced, organic cotton, and are free of chlorine and fragrance.
Cleaning Nintendo Switch Joy Cons
Cleaning Nintendo Switch joy-cons is a delicate task, but there is no reason to be leery. Use the supplies suggested and the cleaning steps provided to clean your joy-cons. Unstick those buttons, clean, and disinfect the controller, and get back to gaming within minutes.
Step One: Power Down System
The system must be powered down before cleaning the controllers. Hold the power button until the power menu appears. Press ‘power options’ and then select ‘turn off.’
Step Two: Dig Out Dirt Using Toothpick
Dig out dirt surrounding the buttons and underneath joysticks using a toothpick. Alternatively, a paper clip may be used.
- Pro Tip: Be careful not to apply too much pressure, as doing so can bend the toothpick, breaking it off inside the space you are attempting to clean.
- Assort sizes - The package contains 450pieces 28mm,200pieces 33mm and 50 pieces 50mm paper clips.Can be used for marking files of different types and sizes.
- Rust-resistant & durable - The paper clips are vinyl coated, resist corrosion, smooth surfaces prevents snags or marks on papers.
- Convenient storage - All sizes of paper clips lie in a plastic container with 6 separated compartments,easy access and keep your desk and drawer neat.
- Multi-use - Suitable for office, school and daily use,also used for daily DIY, making bookmarks, photo albums, business card holders and envelope clips, etc.
- If you’re not satisfied for any reason, you can return your purchase any time for a full refund.
Step Three: Scrub Using Small Cleaning Brush
Next, scrub the same areas using the soft-bristled small cleaning brush. Use a circular scrubbing motion, as it helps to loosen more dirt.
- Pro Tip: If you use a toothbrush, it is best to use a new one. Doing so ensures that the toothbrush is not only completely dry but free of dirt and debris.
Step Four: Wipe Controller Using Microfiber Cloth
Use a dry microfiber cloth to quickly wipe down the controller.
- Pro Tip: A cotton ball can also be used to complete this step. Paper towels should not be used.
- Contains: 3 packs of 100 Organic Jumbo Cotton Balls (total 300) Amazing Value
- Mindfully Made: 100% Cruelty-Free
- Made with GOTS Certified Cotton & Chlorine and Fragrance-Free
- Eco-Friendly Design: 100% Biodegradable Cotton Balls
- Soft on Skin and Ideal for Beauty, Personal Care, and Household Uses!
Step Five: Disinfect Buttons and Joystick Using Rubbing Alcohol
Dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol, and clean around each button and joystick. Press against each button and rub in a circular motion. Be sure to shake the Q-tip a bit to keep it from dripping while cleaning the buttons.
- Pro Tip: This step is especially helpful for unsticking buttons to improve playability. Be advised, however, that cleaning agents like rubbing alcohol can fade plastic.
Step Six: Disinfect Entire Controller
Using a microfiber cloth and rubbing alcohol, continue to disinfect the rest of the joy con controller. Use a conservative amount of rubbing alcohol.
- Pro Tip: A cotton ball can also be used in place of the microfiber cloth.
Step Seven: Dry Controller Using Microfiber Cloth
While rubbing alcohol evaporates rather quickly on its own, it is best to dry the joy-con controller using a microfiber cloth. First, this dries the controller faster. Second, it helps you mitigate the risk of rubbing alcohol discoloring the plastic.
- Do not use paper towels, as they can leave behind remnants that cause problems.
Cleaning Nintendo Switch joy-con controllers requires several steps, but the task is easy to complete. When done, your controller will be clean, disinfected and offer better functionality. Routinely completing this simple task can prolong the life of your Nintendo Switch joy-con controllers.
FAQ: Cleaning Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Controllers
If other people are using your controllers, you need to regularly clean and disinfect your controllers. Doing so will minimize the transfer of bacteria and viruses.
How often should you clean Nintendo Switch joy-con controllers?
Clean your Nintendo Switch joy-con controllers once a month. If the buttons are sticking or your friends have used your controller, it may be necessary to clean your joy-con controller.
How do I keep my controller from getting dirt and dust under the buttons?
Proper storage helps protect your controllers from dirt, dust, and spills. Place them in an old shoebox, or better yet, purchase a bin that is able to store the controllers, games, and any other accessory you have.
- Set of 4 clear bins, with latching lid
- Dimensions: 15"L x 10.5"W x 5.1"H (14 Qt)
- These box not only as food containers, storage bin, also can as shoes box
- Clear color allows you to easily identify contents
- Suitable for kitchen storage, can store snacks, also be stored in the refrigerator as a food container.
Do Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Controllers Drift?
Like with all gaming console controllers, the Nintendo Switch joy-con controllers are known to drift. The cleaning process detailed above helps eliminate the possibility of this problem while at the same time addressing sticky buttons in general.
Is there anything else you can do to address drift issues with joy con controllers?
Computer forensics experts use electrical contact cleaners on electronics. If the drift issues for your joy-con controller persist, try this product. For the best results, be sure to lift the flaps of each joystick using your finger or a toothpick when using an electrical contact cleaner.
Does calibrating or recalibrating a Nintendo Switch joy-con controller help eliminate drift?
If you are experiencing drift when using your joy con controller, calibrating, or recalibrating the controller could fix the problem. While this task is more of a troubleshooting step, it also helps facilitate better gameplay.