Due to its porous nature, grout can stain easily. Grout is used to fill the voids in tiled surfaces in kitchens, bathrooms, etc.
Grout must be cleaned regularly. You can remove dirt, grime, and other residues in a few easy steps using either a commercial cleaner or a homemade cleaning solution.
Grout Cleaning Supplies
Dirt and grime build up on grout quickly. In the kitchen, spills are often the main cause of grout stains and discoloration. In the bathroom, homeowners must watch out for mold and mildew. Your choice of cleaning solution may have everything to do with the area you are preparing to clean.
A cleaning brush is used for scrubbing. Choose an appropriately sized cleaning brush based on the size of the room and the width of the grout.
- 6-pack of heavy-duty scrub brushes for cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, tile, and more
- Firm polypropylene bristles stand up to sustained use
- Efficiently cleans and breaks down dirt, grease and grime
- Non-slip TPR long handle is easy to grip and apply scrubbing pressure
- Hanging feature for convenient storage and drying
An empty spray bottle is required if you plan to use one of the homemade cleaning solutions.
- 【ADJUSTABLE NOZZLE & THREE SPRAY MODES】Our upgrade adjustable nozzle comes with three spray modes. From a fine mist to a steady stream to off, the sprayer can be easily adjusted to suit your needs by rotating the nozzle. Extra-long suction tube enabling you to get the last of your liquid sprayed out, avoid to waste!
- 【DURABLE HDPE BOTTLES】 The (5 pcs, 16 Oz) strong spray bottles are made from durable HDPE plastic, BPA Free, which is chemically resistant, safe for chemical solutions like Bleach, Vinegar, Rubbing Alcohol, etc. and support long-term use. Withstands drops and won't shatter easily, is an ideal solution spray bottle.
- 【NO LEAK AND CLOG】Our spray bottle features durable polypropylene spray head (More than 50 thousand pumps test), tight and secure cap closure, internal cover cap gasket, and built in 304 stainless steel spring and precision valve and piston for 100% leak & clog free use, NO leak when turning them over or putting on its side.
- 【MULTI-PURPOSE USE】The heavy duty spray bottles can be used for multi-purposes. Great for Household, Commercial & Industrial use for cleaning solutions around the house, car detailing, cleaning disinfect, hairdressing, misting and watering plants, ironing, laundry, BBQ, and to spray the body etc. These bottles can be safe reusable, simply wash it out and reused many times.
- 【BETTER TRIGGER & NECK DESIGN】 Unique 2-finger trigger design makes your fingers rest easily on it and the ergonomic neck gives you a comfortable grip, eliminating hand fatigue.
White vinegar is used to make one of the homemade cleaning solutions.
- WHY DO CUSTOMERS LOVE THE AVO VINEGAR? It’s simple. AVO has been a market leader for two decades providing Retail, Foodservice and B2B customers with vegetable oils and vinegars that are produced with the highest USA food grade quality standards. AVO’s white distilled vinegar is NON-Toxic, chemical free and contains no potentially cancer-causing additives. Our White Vinegar is packaged in 1 gallon bottle and has 5% acidity. Our vinegar raw material supply chain is fully traceable.
- COOKING AND CLEANING – AVO’s multipurpose 5% vinegar is the perfect choice for your cooking and cleaning tasks. Cooking use: Baking, general cooking, marinades, tenderizing, sauces, salads, dressings, canned food, Asian/ethnic cuisines. AVO’s 5% vinegar is a premium cleaning solution that is safe and natural. Mix with baking soda for added strength.
- BUY WITH PURPOSE – ENVIRONMENT: Besides producing healthy vegetable oils & vinegars, AVO is committed to make continuous improvements by reducing the environmental impact of our products & facilities. Our dedication goes beyond compliance with the law and includes environmental practices into our business decisions. CHARITABLE PRODUCT: AVO’s community commitment: a portion of your purchase helps us make donations on a monthly basis to families in need and people without a home in our community.
- MADE IN USA: Because we understand that 80% of American shoppers say they prefer to buy goods made in the United States - by CR (Consumer Reports); AVO’s vinegar is proudly produced, packaged, and inspected here in the USA. We support made in USA products.
- BUY NOW RISK FREE - 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We are super confident you will love all of our Vinegar. However, if for any reason you're not absolutely thrilled, just let us know and we will give you a full refund - no questions asked! Our mission is to provide a risk-free experience.
Hydrogen peroxide is used to make one of the homemade cleaning solutions.
- Size 32-fluid ounce bottles of first aid antiseptic
- First aid to help prevent risk of infection from minor cuts, scrapes and burns
- Active ingredient: 3% hydrogen peroxide (stabilized)
- If you like Swan Hydrogen Peroxide, we invite you to try Solimo 3% Hydrogen Peroxide First Aid Antiseptic
- Satisfaction Guarantee: We’re proud of our products. If you aren’t satisfied, we’ll refund you for any reason within a year of purchase. 1-877-485-0385
Bleach is another choice available to you when deciding on which grout-cleaning agent to use.
- Clean, disinfect, and deodorize with the power of Clorox Bleach concentrated formula
- For use in HE and standard washing machines
- A registered disinfectant that kills up to 99.9 percent of household germs and bacteria
- Excellent antibacterial, germicidal and fungicidal properties,
- Perfect for cleaning and disinfecting around your home or office, Easy to grip handle prevents spillage
Cleaning gloves are necessary for this task, especially if you plan to use bleach.
- MULTI-PURPOSE APPLICATIONS - Perfect for dishwashing, pool maintenance, logistics, cleaning (ex. pond gutter grain), car/cloth washing, kitchen/bathroom using, working, painting, gardening, fishing, pet caring, daily chores,DIY and any household duties.
- MATERIAL - Made with highly flexible waterproof rubber for great comfort & dexterity. Anti-slip embossed palm for an excellent grip. They smelled a bit rubbery and chemical-like when you first took them out of the packaging, but after airing them out they will be fine. Allergic people or people sensitive to rubber smell should use in caution. No flocked Lining.
- HEAT PROTECTION & COLD RESISTANT - 100g extra thickness latex gloves for better wear-resistant. Keep your hands comfortable from hot water up to 50°C/122°F and temperature down to 0°C/32°F
- 12CM LONG SLEEVE & VALUE PACK -12cm/4.7 in. long pull on closure sleeve to safeguard users' hands up to the forearm. 3 pairs per pack to save your money
- CA65 & REACH Approved - Tested by Intertek which is certified by ISO17025 international standard and meet CA Prop. 65 regulations, comply with the EU REACH regulation
A steam mop is used during the last step of this task only if you are cleaning the grout in between floor tiles.
- Buy BISSELL, Save Pets. For each purchase of this pet product, you can activate a $10 donation from BISSELL to BISSELL Pet Foundation.
- Vacuum and wash your floors at the same time, making every day pet mess cleaning quick and easy.
- CrossWave Pet Pro multi-surface cleaner is safe and effective for use on tile, sealed wood floors, carpet, rugs, laminate, linoleum, rubber floor mats, pressed wood floors, and more.
- Take care of pet messes the BISSELL way. The CrossWave Pet Pro includes a Tangle-Free Brush Roll, Pet Hair Strainer and a Multi-Surface Pet Formula with Febreze Freshness. Minimize pet hair from wrapping around the brush roll, separate large debris from the liquid to reduce sink clogging and reduce pet odors in one clean.
- Two-Tank Technology keeps clean water and formula separate from dirty water and dry debris. Forever clean pet messes with a fresh solution
How To Clean Grout
Cleaning grout may seem like an arduous task, especially if you must get on your hands and knees; however, this chore is straightforward and requires only a minimal time investment. This task is completed in three easy steps using either a commercial cleaner or a homemade cleaning solution.
Step One: Prepare Cleaning Solution
Grout is sensitive, so it is recommended you begin this task using the mildest cleaning solution. Some experts suggest simply using warm water to clean grout.
You can make a cleaning solution by adding a teaspoon of dish soap to warm water in an empty spray bottle.
Alternatively, you can make a homemade mixture of equal parts warm water and vinegar in an empty spray bottle.
Hydrogen peroxide may also be used on grout directly as a cleaning agent.
If you are working in the bathroom and notice mold or mildew, create a warm water and quarter cup bleach solution in the spray bottle.
• Pro Tip: Both bleach and commercial cleaners should be used sparingly on grout. Using bleach too often on grout can cause damage, forcing you to regrout prematurely.
• Pro Tip: If using bleach after attempting to clean with the white vinegar and warm water solution, be sure to rinse away all traces of the vinegar. Vinegar and bleach mixed are toxic.
Step Two: Scrub Grout
Spray the grout using your preferred cleaning solution, and scrub in a circular motion. Remember, when cleaning grout, it is best to begin with the mildest cleaning agent, unless you are certain you need a stronger solution.
• Pro Tip: If using a commercial cleaner, instructions may read ‘spray and wipe’ rather than ‘spray and scrub.’ Therefore, it is essential to read the instructions and follow the directions printed on the cleaner.
Step Three: Rinse Grouted Tiles or Use Steam Mop
Rinse the grouted tile using water and a cleaning cloth. Conversely, if you are cleaning grouted floor tiles, a steam mop can be used.
• Pro Tip: Some experts suggest that more advanced steam mops clean grout in between floor tiles efficiently on their own.
FAQ: Cleaning Grout In Between Tiles
Grout not only creates an aesthetically pleasing surface but also serves to strengthen the bond of the tiles. When kept clean, grout will enhance the look of any tiled surface. To keep your tiles looking great and your grout in good condition, perform this cleaning task when you notice your grout is becoming discolored, or at least once a month.
When should you decide to regrout vs perform this grout cleaning task?
If you notice damage to grout that extends beyond mild discoloration or your grout becomes damaged, it is time to regrout. Damaged grout causes water to seep behind tiles, which can cause structural damage.
How often does grout need to be cleaned?
While there is no specific timeframe when it comes to cleaning the grout, you should perform this task once a month. Keep an eye out for any type of buildup or damage to your grout. Keeping the grout clean and in good shape helps it last longer.
How often should grout be replaced?
When installed correctly and well-maintained, grout can last up to 20 years. The average lifespan is about 15 years. Therefore, replacing grout is not a project that homeowners must worry about if they perform routine maintenance and keep their grout clean.
Can you make grout a darker color without regrouting?
Yes, grout can be made darker to hide imperfections and for better aesthetics in general. There is no need to regrout unless that is your preferred method to get the job done. Instead, you can use dye to darken the color of the grout. If you choose to do this, however, darkened grout does not mean you can stop cleaning your grout. In fact, dark grout can show as much or more dirt as lighter colored grout.